Draco: Be Somebody

"We all wanna be somebody, we just need a taste of who we are. We all wanna be somebody, we're willing to go but not that far. I'm just the boy inside the man, not exactly who you think I am. Trying to trace my steps back here again so many times"
– Thousand Foot Krutch

     Draco had done what McGonagall had asked, he had apologized to the Granger girl. He admitted that he hadn't very nice about it, but Mcgonagall did not specify that he had to be nice to her. Though now that he thought about it, maybe he shouldn't have been so rude. After all, she had already been crying.
     He had never seen a girl cry, or what they looked like after crying. Pansy never cried, she was the type to make other girls cry. Having seen Granger cried made him feel uneasy, so naturally he reverted to being his former, mean self. His apology had been genuine, but then him of changing and caring about her feelings.
     Draco might not be the elitist boy he once was, but that didn't mean he wanted to be best mates with her and her friends. He hadn't returned to Hogwarts to make friends with the golden trio. He was there for his mother sake only.
     He reminded himself of this, as he made his way to the dungeon for potions class. He was rounding a corner when a small red haired girl blocked his path. Without uttering a single word, she punched him square in the face. He heard a small crunching sound as his head snapped backwards, and felt a warm liquid ooze from his nose. He quickly covered his nose with the sleeve of his robes to contain the blood.
     "What the hell was for?" He practically screamed at her.
     "That is for Hermione, you prat!" Ginny Weasley spat at him. She then turned around and walked back to Potter. He put his arm around her protectively, and in a very child-like manner, stuck his tongue out at him.
     Draco was furious, this was the second time he was hit by a girl. He'd had apologized to Granger, what more did they want? He turned around and headed to then infirmary.
     "Really, Mr. Malfoy," said Madame Pomfrey when she saw him, " first day back and you're already getting yourself in trouble."
     "I didn't do anything." He said, defending himself.
     Madame Pomfrey waved her wand and Draco winced as the cartilage snapped back into place. She gave him a tissue to wipe away the blood and moved on to the next injured student. Just then professor McGonagall entered the infirmary looking very cross. Draco couldn't help but cower a little under her death glare.
     "Mr. Malfoy! I demand an explanation." She said walking over to him. She must have been really mad because Madame Pomfrey took the other student and left the room. Draco suddenly felt very tiny.
     "Professor, I promise I didn't do anything. The Weasley girl attacked me." He explained.
     "Miss Weasley?" McGonagall asked surprised, "why?"
     "She said it was for Hermione." Draco answered. McGonagall raised her eyebrows in amusement.
     "Did you do what I asked." She changed the subject.
     "I did, but she didn't accept my apology."  He replied.
     "Then you'll have to try again." She said.
     "What?! Why?" Draco asked indignantly.
     "Because that's your punishment. You, Mr. Malfoy, have a habit of making others feel like filth because of their origin. Whether it be because they are muggle-born or because they can't afford the luxuries you do. From the moment you set foot in this castle, you've acted as if everyone were beneath you and I won't stand for it! For far too long you've gotten away with insulting others and not apologizing, so you're making up by getting Miss Granger's forgiveness." Professor McGonagall's voice rose a few octaves.
     "What if I don't?" Draco asked defiantly.
     "Then I'll have no choice but to send you home." She answered.
     "You can't do that!" He protested.
     "Yes, I can, and I will. I was reluctant to allow you to return to Hogwarts, given that you were a follower of the Dark Lord. I thought you deserved a second chance, but if you won't change your ways you'll have to leave." Her words hit Draco like a slap.
     He regretted having been a Death Eater, but he hadn't been given much of a choice. He couldn't leave Hogwarts because his mother would be disappointed and his being here was the only thing that kept her from crumbling to pieces. He also couldn't do what McGonagall wanted him to do. She was asking to humiliate himself, and for Granger of all people!
     "Can't you just give me detention or something?" He tried to bargain.
     "No." She said without missing a beat. Delta I sighed heavily.
     "Fine, I'll do what you ask." He said defeated.
     "See to it that you do." McGonagall said and left the room without another word.