We All Float Face Down

The question of life sometimes struck me. Sometimes I woke up in the morning wanting to be in a different time, a different place. It never quite worked, but I kept my hopes up.
I tapped my pencil on my desk, looking over my homework. Algebra. Boring shit I would never ever use again in the real world. Whatever the real world is. I'd begun to wonder nowadays.  I finished up the last equation and got my skateboard and walked outside. I kicked off and felt free. It was my escape, feeling the wind hitting me, my feet gliding over the earth. But all good things must come to and end.
***
"Get your lazy ass up!" My Mom screamed from down the hall. 
I groaned and rolled over on my bed. Just then, my dumbass alarm clock blasted Sunspots By Nine Inch Nails. 
I mean, it's a good song, but still, what the fuck?
I rolled off my bed with an enormous thud. Light from the outside world shone inside my room and landed on me. I covered my eyes and scowled. "What a lovely fucking day." I mumbled.
"ALICE JANE! GET THE HELL UP!" 
You KNOW it's for real when your Mom called you by your full name.
I jumped up, turned off my alarm, grabbed a towel, and ran across the hall to the bathroom.
After taking a shower and drying off my hair, I went back to my room. I put on a Green Day T-Shirt, black skinny jeans, and Korn converse. I grabbed some wrist bands that I got from Hot Topic. I put two on my left hand. One said: "Life is to short so love the one you got" (A Quote from a kickass band called Sublime). Another said: "Official Maggot!" Which indicated my supreme loving to SlipKnot. Then I picked out three for my right hand. One said, "I'd rather be dead than cool" (A Quote from Kurt Cobain, the lead singer of Nirvana). Another read: "Bitch We Have Got A Problem" (A Quote from the song Getting Off By Korn). And the last one said: "One Who Doesn't Care Is One Who Shouldn't Be." That was a Quote from Alice In Chains, the band in which I got my name from. Yeah, my Mom has a pretty fucking awesome music taste.
After trying unsuccessfully to make my hair decent, I grabbed a black beanie and threw it on.
"Yo, Alice!" My brother screamed from the bathroom. "What?" I yelled back, grabbing my bookbag and stuffing it with homework and notebooks. "Where's the toothpaste?" He asked. "Up my ass, genius!" I said back sarcastically. "ALICE JANE! WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE IN MY HOUSE!" My Mom shouted from the kitchen. I giggled and jumped up, heading to the kitchen.
"Mornin', Ma." I said, walking into the kitchen and grabbing a bowl, milk and cereal. "Good Morning Alice." She said, kissing my cheek.
I know, it's kinda fucked up how she screamed at me for one second, then kissed me the next, but my Mom was not one to hold a grudge. Even against her husband, who is never at home and who is obviously cheating. Unlike me. Last time I saw my Dad, I cursed him out and made his whore girlfriend feel like shit. I know it wasn't the best way to handle shit, but I have a VERY short temper, I'm really tall (6"1, and I'm only 16) and I was sure as hell not gonna let that bastard hurt my family then get away with it clean.
My brother walked into the room and I nearly choked on my cereal, I was laughing so hard. My brother's hair was shooting in every direction, his Avenged Sevenfold shirt was on backwards, his jeans were wrinkled, and his socks were unmatched.
"Jesus Christ, Zeppelin!" My Mom said in horror.
Yeah, my name is Alice from Alice In Chains and my brother's name is Zeppelin from Led Zeppelin.
"You should've named him Billie Joe, ma. He sure looks like him." I snickered.
My brother's piercing green eyes shot daggers at me. I laughed.
My brother really DOES look look like Billie Joe Armstrong, which explains why so many girls were up his ass. I looked more like Kurt Cobain, which is why we didn't look related at all. My Mom has blue grey eyes and natural black hair, but Dad has really dark green eyes and blonde hair. Ta-da! It resulted in mismatched kids.
"I can't find my comb." He mumbled, rubbing his neck. I finished my cereal and dropped my bowl in the sink.
"Like hell you can't! Come on, lemme help ya." I snickered.
I combed through his hair, grabbed some socks and a pair of jeans from his messed up dressers, and told him to put those on, then turn around his shirt.
"Thanks." He muttered. I rolled my eyes and nodded, then checked my phone. 7:56. I sighed and grabbed my bookbag, iPod and headphones.
I ran to the kitchen and made a quick lunch for Zeppelin and I, kissed my Mom and yelled, "Zep, your lunch is on the table!" Before he could reply, I threw my lunch in my bag, grabbed my skateboard from near the door, and went off to school.

*****************************************************

"Class, please welcome a new student!" My teacher, Mrs. Fender said. What the hell? It's halfway in between the school year, why is there a NEW student?
I rolled my eyes and started doodling in my notebook. I glanced up and my eyes popped out of my skull.
There was a girl at the front of the classroom. She had brown eyes, and long curly hair. She had those 'trendy' big glasses on, and an oversized SlipKnot shirt on, with the Quote: "You cannot kill what you did not create" on it. She was biting her lip, and her eyes darted from everyone in the room.
Oh gosh, she was fucking beautiful.
"Class, this is Lily Moreno. She's going to be joining the class. Any volunteers to show her around?" All the hands shot up but mine. I would probably embarrass myself, or make her feel uncomfortable, SOMETHING to fuck things up.
"Ah, thank you for volunteering, Alice." Mrs. Fender said.
My eyes shot up and I groaned.
The girl smiled.
Dammit.

*************************************************

As soon as the bell rang, I jumped out of my seat and speed-walked to the door.
"Alice? Aren't you forgetting something?" Mrs. Fender said. I stopped and sucked in a breath, turning around.
Lily was standing her, biting on the inside of her cheeks, staring at her Nirvana converse.
"Sorry, Lily. Come on, we got lunch now." I mumbled.
She looked up at me, then glanced at Mrs. Fender.
"Uh, okay." She whispered.
Her voice was light. Not really soft, but definitely not hard either.
She walked towards me and I held open the door for her.
"Have fun!" Mrs. Fender said.

We walked into the loud lunchroom. "Woah." She whispers. "Yeah, it's this loud all the time." I laughed. "Not that, just look at the size of this room! It's way big." She marveled, looking around. I chuckled and said, "Where do you come from?" "Seattle. It's not really big down there." "Wow, have you seen the bench yet?" I asked.
I've always wanted to go to Seattle, I mean, it's all Nirvana fans' dreams! I wanna carve "Peace, Love And Empathy" in the bench, and I think I would be at total peace.
"Of course! I used to go there whenever I felt sad. I loved it. Have you been there?"
"Nah. I want to, though. It's my life goal." I said.
Lily just nodded.
"Okay, so that table," I said, pointing at one. "Is where all the prepped up bitches and fake asses sit. Don't go there. They'll eat you alive." Lily nodded and laughed.
"Over there," I pointed at another table, "Is where the nerds and geeks sit. They're actually pretty cool, but don't ask them for homework or talk about anything else but science and math near them." Lily seemed to be soaking up all the information.
"Um, there are two other tables, then there is outside." "Outside?" Lily asked, looking up at me. (Yeah, she was only about 5"6, so she actually had to look UP.)
"Well, yeah." I laughed. Lily smiled and pointed at a table, "Who are they?"
"Those are the jocks. Keep away from them. They're fucking crazy, and ALL of them are on steroids." Lily stiffled a laugh and said, "So where do we sit?"
I took her hand (It sent fucking electric shocks up my entire body. Gosh) and walked her to the "Punk" table.
"Alice, darling!" My friend, William, said. "William, baby!" I giggled.
Lily laughed and slid into a seat. "Who is this lovely being you have here?" He asked.
I sat next to her as she said, "My name's Lily." "Oh, Lily. Sexy name." William said. I saw her cheeks heat up and I said, "Jesus, Lily, no! William's gay!"
Wlliam and I laughed and Lily started apologizing. "Nah, it's fine. I mean, who wouldn't want this?"
We all laughed as Zeppelin came and sat next to William. "Hey. 'Sup?"
Both William and Lily started blushing. "That's Lily. Lily, that's my brother, Zeppelin. Like, from Led Zeppelin." "That's a cool name." "Thanks." He said, opening his lunch.
Zep's girlfriend, Jessie, came and slid next to Zep, kissing his cheek.
"Hey, babe." He said, smiling.
"Hey." She said.
Now, I have to admit, Jessie was pretty hot.
She had light blue eyes and brown hair, and she always wore a red snapback and red lipstick.
Lily smiled and said, "Hi."
"Hello. What's your name?" She asked.
She was real big with the whole, 'Have manners!' bullshit. William scowled.
"Lily." She answered, pulling out her lunch.
"Cool. Nice name." "Thanks. My Dad named me after the Foo Fighters song called Enough Space. It's like, my favorite song."
"I got named after that random Jesse's Girl song. My parents thought I was gonna be a boy." She laughed.
"I got named after Axl Rose. Supposedly William was his actual name." William shrugged.
"I got my name from Alice In Chains." I said.
Lily laughed and said, "That's funny, we're all names after something to do with music."
"Yup." Jessie smiled.
"Hey, watch out with Alice." Zeppelin laughed.
"Why?" Lily asked, raising her eyebrow.
"Shut the hell up, Zeppelin!" I yelled.
"Oh, she didn't tell you?" Jessie said, smiling.
"Be quiet!" I said.
"What?" Lily asked. She was clearly confused.
"Alice is a lesbian!" Zeppelin said, laughing.
Goddammit.

××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××