Whispers

Hey guys, heres the start of my new short story Whispers. Hope yall like it!(: I'm pretty happy with it so far. Yes, it is a ghost story. :P Anywho, vote, comment, FAN ME!!! :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

           "Ma'am? Ma'am, thats not the correct change." Said the customer. I looked up and said, "Oh! its not? Oh, um, i'm so sorry i'm not awake right now." I gave him the correct change, and looked at the clock. It read10:15 pm.

           I was working late at the market tonight, and I left my kids with their babysitter. Dalila was a very good babysitter, I pay her extra because she is so good with my kids. Anna and Belle just adore her. My watch beeped; my shift was over. I went to the back to retrieve my keys, and I headed out to my car. I loved my car, even though all my friends made fun of the cute little van. Atleast it held a lot. I turned on the engine, and backed out of the parking lot.

          When I got home it was 11:00. The market I work at is in town, so it takes a while to get there. Once I walk in the door, my kids screamed "Mommy!" and hugged me. I hold them tight, then pay the babysitter and put them to bed. All I ever wanted was for them to be happy, with their father gone i'm not sure that happiness is still there. It was late at night when it happened; he was home late from work and in a bad mood. He threw his work bag across the room to where it hit a chair and knocked it over. The kids woke up and went to the kitchen to go see what was wrong, but we both never knew they were standing there listening. I stood there, trying to talk to him. Ask him how was work, but all I got was this:

          "Why do you care how work was? Can't you tell! I got fired, Kristen!" He screamed at me.

           "What happened??" I asked, worried.

           "Just go to bed." He said, going to the fridge.

            "I'm not leaving until you tell me what happened!" I shouted.

            "Fine! Then i'll leave!" He picked up his coat off the floor, and slammed the door behind him.

           Tears were already streaming down my face. I quickly wiped them away as I heard my kids whisper, "Mommy, are you okay?"

           I turned around to face them, and smiled. "Don't worry, i'm fine. Now go to bed, we're going to look for a new house tomorrow."

        I sure as hell didn't want to be there when Kevin got back, but we couldn't find a house. My friends helped me look, but still we found none. We were lucky though, for days he never came back. The next day, my friend Shelly found a house for me. We took the house immediately and started unpacking. My kids were with their babysitter at the new house. I stayed at the old house to get the last couple boxes when I heard the creak of footsteps behind me.

       "You're leaving?" His voice cracked. He had been crying.

       "Yes." I said without turning around. I picked up the box and walked behind him out the door. He followed.

        "I know the things I said were horrible, I do. Kristen, please don't leave. I didn't mean anything I said, I was just a little stressed out that I lost my job." Kevin said.

        "A little stressed out?" I shouted after I loaded the box in the van. "How is yelling at me in front of your two five year old daughters mean 'a little stressed out'??" I was crying again.

        He tried to grab my elbow, but I shoved him away. I quickly walked past him to get the last box. I scooped up the last box and hurried back outside. He kept following me and talking, but I ignored everything. I closed the van and went back inside to get my keys. When I was inside, he had the keys in his hands.