Don't Go...

Don't Go...

I stood in the frame of the bedroom door. Trying desperately not to ball my eyes out right then and there.
This fight was one I would never forget. I chewed on my thumb nail, blinking back tears that had escaped my pleas to not cry. It killed me watching him pack bag after bag. Surely he was just proving a point, right? He swore he'd always love me, that he would never leave me. As the silence between us grew I was beginning to think he really was going to leave me alone tonight. Maybe...forever.
The pain grew as I watched him zip up the last bag and swing it over his shoulder. Grabbing his guitar case as he pushed pass me through the door. The only sound was the echo of his boots and my bare feet on the wooden floors. The front door opened and I ran, my white cotton dress swaying in the breeze. It had been raining for hours now. I still ran, until I reached the driveway. The coldness of the rain chilling me to the core. I'd rather catch pneumonia before I let him walk away from what we had.

I let it go. I let all the walls I built during the fight come tumbling down.
Soaked in the rain I stood there and for the first time in an hour, I begged.
"Brantley? Brantley, please don't do this."
Despite the tremendous amount of crying and sobbing he walked around me.
"It's over, Serenity. I can't do this anymore."
I dropped to my knees crying.

"No..." It was barely above a whisper, but by the way he rested his hands on the bed of his old pick up told me it was just loud enough for him to hear.
"You don't mean that. Take it back! Don't say those words to me! Baby...don't! You said you'd never hurt me, you're hurting me now! You're breaking my heart...right now! You swore to me...you swore when I wore your ring it meant forever! LOOK!..."

I held my hand up and showed him I wore it even now.

"I've got it on, baby. How you say I lost it?! You promised! Oh...Brantley, please!"