The Circus

I twisted my hair into a ponytail, tucking it under my cap and lowering the brim. Then I took a final look around the room full of strangers, wondering which of them would help me escape, and which would try to kill me.

 “Welcome to Glam Brawl! Tonight’s special is the girl from another dimension versus the defending champion, Luna!” A female voice blared out of the microphones.

I scanned the glass arena. I saw Deco and Lola strapped in the front row seat, their face horrified and screaming. But I could not hear them. The lights were so bright.  My heart pumped faster. I feel the blood rushed throughout my body. In front of me, a skinny but muscular girl stood. She seemed to glow from within.

 “Luna,” I whispered.

My body ached. I wanted to go home and crawl into my bed and sleep for years. But I knew that was not possible, especially not when Deco and Lola were still in danger.

Ok, let’s back this up a little. Shall we rewind this a bit?

  ~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 When I saw the poster, I could not fathom the joy inside of me. The poster reads:

 THE CIRCUS IS IN TOWN! FEATURING THE FLYING RICHARDSON! ONE DAY ONLY!

 I always wanted to go to a circus, ever since I was a kid. But every time I would be alone in my house while other kids absorbed the fun. This time, I was going! And, the Flying Richardson, oh god, they are like the most famous circus family! I started running home, a huge grin on my face.

 Ok, so you might ask who was this 17 years old loser? Well, I am Aleksandra Brennan. The name Aleksandra came from the Greek, which I think is pretty cool. Apparently, it means something like the defender, or helper of mankind. Ha-ha, my parents probably knew I was a fail when they first held me. They probably gave me such a powerful name due to the fact that I needed all the power and courage I could get. I was a shy, dependent girl (the one that was going to be living with her parents when she was an adult, yeah, that kind). You could normally find me in my room, on the computer, twittering or tumblring. Yup, I am a sore loser.

 I arrived home and screamed – really out of breath –, “mom, can… I go…to the circus?”

 “Oh of course! I thought you will never leave your room. The circus is a great idea for you to explore the world,” my mom said behind her office door.

 “Ok, thanks,” I said as I run upstairs.

 My parents and I were really close. They worked in the government with stressful jobs. I tend to be ignored but I liked that. I had a good life compared to all my relatives, but sometimes I hate my life. I was not smart like my parents. Yes, my mom went to university when she was 15. And look at me, 17 and could barely pass a physics test. Like I said, I was a complete loser.

 I took off my black tank top and slided into my favourite baggy top (gotta hide my pudgy figure). The summer here in Maata was hot. The sun burned down on, often sucking the air out of me. But when 75% of the year, you were freezing your butt off, warmth was something of a luxury to most.

 I ran downstairs, half bumping into daddy. “Hey daddy, can I have some money fooor the circus?” I asked with a twisted, duck mouth, squinted eyes and a raised eyebrow.

 “Yeah, go to the kitchen cabinets. I’m pretty sure there is amount of change there,” He replied chuckling, getting my reference of Dean’s face from Supernatural.

 In the next 10 seconds, I grabbed $30 from the kitchen cabinets and ran out of the house. I was panting when I arrived in front of the circus entrance. Circus music blasted from the surround sound. It was 4 in the afternoon, some families were leaving for home, but most teens were still here. I handed the $12.95 to the lady at the ticket booth, and exchanged for a grounds pass. She was a very skinny lady. Her hair was bright red, not the ginger red but like red lipstick red. Cool.