The two men in ordinary outfits were delighted at Kundan Singh's arrival. They'd apparently been pleading with the police that their car was full, and now practically fled with their vehicle before anyone changed their minds.

Kundan Singh was about to provide an excuse when he'd noticed the police officers distrustfully scrutinising the three men in the car, studying the grisly old injuries and overall seedy appearance. Gauging that it was best to pretend submission and flee before any dangerous questions were asked, Kundan Singh had hastily said that he would gladly help the old man. In a surly tone, one of the officers had warned that someone would check up on the jeweller in the evening to ensure that he'd been dropped to his shop safely.

So now they were stuck with this blithering jeweller who kept thanking them. Not only was it a nuisance, their plans could get seriously jeopardised.

He had to rethink their tactics but the moronic old man just wouldn't shut up!

"…..and on the way back, the bus stopped here and I got down to…you know…at my age, you need to go frequently," the jeweller said shamefacedly. "But the bus moved on without me. It was my good fortune that those policemen were passing by on their bikes and they stopped to help me. I'm very sorry for troubling all of you but I needed to quickly get to my shop."

"It's okay. You've thanked us enough," Kundan Singh said irritably, privately wishing he could throw the man out of the vehicle. He knew the goons were also getting annoyed but were quiet only because of the whispered directives he had given. Vikrant had certainly taught the animals to obey.

"But I'm truly grateful to all of you. You see, one of my most loyal customers will be coming to my shop today. I'd promised Nandini I would have the jewellery set ready by afternoon and I didn't want her to return disappointed."

Kundan Singh nearly scrambled over his seat to stare at the jeweller who was being squashed against the door because of Baldie's size, but restrained himself somehow. He had to tread very carefully. But could it be….could they possibly be so lucky…

With a very neutral tenor, he said, "Nandini?  I know a girl named Nandini in the town. Her family presides over the small temple in  -

 "I'm talking about the same girl! Are you friends with the family?" the old man asked, pleasantly surprised.

Kundan Singh leaned against his seat and laughed soundlessly.

*********************

Sankatmochan moved around the almost empty temple with a focussed speed that belied his usual lethargy. He had to ensure the insides of the shrine were in decent shape before locking it for the morning. Satisfied, he hastily ushered out the sole remaining devotee with promises of conducting the pooja in the evening. Then he quickly locked the temple and began hurrying back to the house

It was very calm outside, and there was a deceiving tranquility in the silence. It made him uneasy. This kind of peaceful ambience on a day that promised to drench the earth with blood before sunset was queerly frightening.

Sumer Singh was standing at the gate. But the elderly man wasn't looking at him or anything in particular. He was clearly absorbed in some deliberations. Perhaps, he too was reliving the events that had taken place at dawn.