Chapter Seven~ Headfirst For Halos

The bowl clattered loudly to the floor, taking with it all its contents. The eggs ran onto the floor, the banana chunks immediately stuck themselves to the linoleum, and the flour went up in a misty cloud around Mia’s feet.

"Well, there goes the banana bread." She muttered, stepping over the sticky mess. Another knock sounded from the door. She sighed angrily and marched to the front entrance. She looked to the side, towards the mirror hanging near the kitchen entrance to make sure she looked okay while pulling the door open.

Except for a little bit of flour on her chin, which she wiped away quickly, her tan face was clean. She turned towards the hallway, where a short, dark-haired man stood. As soon as she recognized who it was, she shut the door. Frank put his arm out and stopped it effortlessly and pushed it open.

"What are you doing here?" she spat, reaching slowly towards her back pocket where she kept her cell phone.

"Where is Guinevere?" he asked, taking a step towards Mia.

"She’s not here." She replied confidently, while also taking a step back, canceling out her bold statement. Two men suddenly came up from behind Frank and walked right past Mia into the apartment. She turned her head back to Frank.

"You can’t just come barging in here! What do you think you’re doing?" she complained, turning around and starting to follow the two strangers angrily. Frank grabbed her arm and pulled her back to him. He stepped forward and closed the front door behind him, his hand still tightly gripping Mia’s tiny wrist.

"Aren’t you fiery? I can do whatever I want, darling." He breathed, taking a step towards her. Mia ripped her wrist out of his grip and stepped away from him. She reached into her back pocket and pulled out her phone behind her back, hoping Frank hadn’t noticed. Unfortunately, he did. Frank smirked at her.

"And don’t even bother calling the police. We are the police." He told her calmly, before lunging at her.

Mia managed to slip out of his way at the last second and made a mad dash to the nearest room- Gwen’s bedroom. She slammed the door shut, not that that would do anything, and pulled out her phone, dialing Mikey’s phone numbers as fast as her nimble fingers could type. She walked to the furthest corner of the room from the door, near Gwen’s bed. Before the first ring, Mia heard the door handle moving.

"Please pick up," she whispered, on the verge of tears. She heard the first ring. Still no answer.

"Boo." She heard someone breathe into her ear. She turned around quickly, dropping her phone in the process. It fell into the mess of blankets and bedsheets lying near Gwen’s bed.

"You didn’t honestly think you could get away, did you?" Frank asked. Before Mia could say a witty comeback that may stall Frank for just enough time for her to push past him, his fist collided with her jaw. A shock of pain rippled through her body, sending her sprawling backwards.

"That was for letting Guinevere get away from me when I had the chance to get her." He explained through gritted teeth. Mia tried opening her mouth, but it sent another wave of pain through her body.

"Don’t you know you’re not supposed to hit a girl?" she spat, trying to restrain her jaw from moving as much as she could. She felt another hit connect with her stomach, causing her to cough of blood and curl up in the fetal position.

"S-stop!" she choked out. She felt Frank grab her shoulder and pull her up to face him.

"Where is she?" he asked again with a serious tone, completely ignoring the fact that Mia was writhing in pain in front of him.

"I don’t know!" she replied, barely in a hoarse whisper. Her eyes widened when she saw that Frank was pulling his arm back I preparation for another hit.

"..wait!" she screeched. But it was too late. Frank fist hit the side of her head and sent her flying back and hitting her head on Gwen’s bedside table.

"What? Are you going to finally speak up, love?" he taunted, holding her broken face up between his two hands. Mia was barely staying conscious, now. Her breaths were short and she was taking a while to reply. Frank shook her head slightly and she groaned.

"There was some guy-" she began, her voice barely audible. Frank held her head up, prompting her to continue.

"His name?" he questioned frantically, knowing that he was getting close to finding out where Gwen was hiding. Mia opened her eyes a bit, the irises a bright green because of the red around them.

"I …I don’t remem-" Frank put his hand to her throat before she could finish her sentence. Mia closed her eyes tightly again. "Jared? Or, was it…?"

Frank squeezed her throat tighter.

"Jared?" he inquired, raising an eyebrow. Mia lifted a shaking hand to his wrist, uselessly trying to pry his hand away.

"I don’t know! …Gerard?" she choked. Frank frowned and released her.

"Gerard?" he asked, his eyes burning a whole through Mia’s head. "Are you sure?"

Mia shifted slightly and nodded.

"I… I think so." She coughed. Frank stood up to leave, turning towards the door. Before he left, he turned back to Mia and noticed that she was frantically trying to reach out to something in the blankets. He smiled and turned back towards her.

"Hey, you didn’t think I was just going to leave you laying there in pain, did you?" he began, taking a step towards her. Mia looked up at him through her just-open eyes hopefully. When she noticed the dangerous scarlet glint in them she reached out towards the blankets again, managing to grab the blanket and pull it slightly, causing the phone to fall from the blankets and onto the floor, face-down. Before she could reach her phone Frank sprang at her, and she let out a final, bloodcurdling scream.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Excuse the incredibly short chapter. I was on a roll last night and had about four pages done, then I forgot to save... so this is all you get. I swear, this chapter is giving me quite a bit of trouble! Fortunately, I'm already quarter-way through chapter nine! BUT, of course, I have to finish chapter eight (which is just pretty much an addition to this one; I'm just too lazy to switch it later, and don't wanna avoid the confusion of having 2 chpter sevens). Sorry :'(