Chapter Two

Juliet found a quiet corner in which to hide and observe. The others sipped their tea and talked idly. Lady Danford had her chair near the fire. Nathaniel and Tony sat near their grandmother and Sophia was slumped in one of the chairs by the window. Juliet opened her book on the latest farming techniques. Considering how far they were from Town, Nathaniel had a surprisingly well-stocked library.

"I miss London. I can't believe we had to come back early all because Juliet can't breathe the air and Anne is breeding. Again." Sophia spit out the words. .

"Sorry to spoil your fun, Sophia. Just let me die next time." Juliet pushed her spectacles further up on her face and turned back to her book. She didn't regret having to come back from Town early. The place was loud, filthy, and smelly. London's only redeeming quality was the number of bookshops.

"I missed Lady Etherton's ball."

Juliet winced at the whine of Sophia's voice. It was like needles in her eyes. "Althea sent me the details, if you'd like to read them. You didn't miss much."

"Gossip from the wallflower wall? No, thanks." Sophia flounced back in her chair and proceeded to stare out at the garden. "The last thing I want to hear is what a laughingstock the family is. You are the only girl I know who allows her stuffing to pop out of her bodice."

Heat crept into Juliet's face. She glanced at Tony, who had spewed his tea. Brilliant. Now he was remembering their dance. Never again would she try to fix the cards she had been dealt. She buried her nose deeper into the book.

Tony set down his teacup. "Is that what that was? I thought all ladies kept their handkerchiefs in their bodice."

"Most ladies have something in their bodice with which to hold it in," Sophia cackled.

Juliet cringed, unable to believe that Sophia had actually uttered that statement aloud.

Juliet loved her sister; she really did. On most days. The rest of the time was up for discussion. This was one of those times. She wanted to hit Sophia with her book just to shut her up.

"Juliet, I've invited Simon Bartleby to tea today," Nathaniel said.

Please, dear God, not him. Juliet groaned behind the book. The man was an arrogant, puffed-up prig.

"Good Lord, why?" Sophia said with a frown. Juliet had to agree.

"He wants to borrow some of my agricultural journals. It seems Horneswood is changing hands. The new owner wants to make some changes." Nathaniel sipped his tea.

Horneswood was sold? Juliet sat up and closed her book. This might be just the thing the Williams family needed.

"Does he know who the new owner is?" Tony asked.

The funny tone in his voice caught Juliet's attention. She studied him as he avoided her eye.

Nathaniel shook his head. "I don't know the particulars, except Chelsworth lost it in a card game. Foolish man."

Sophia laughed. "That sounds like something you'd do, Tony."

A dark flush stole over Tony's cheeks. "I'd not stoop so low."

There was something different about Tony. His tone sounded almost vicious to Juliet. "No one believes that you would."

Anne came in to the parlor and threw herself into an overstuffed chair. "Juliet, what are you reading that boy? He's had nightmares for two days and I can't get him to take a nap."