Chapter IV: Break-ins and Balls

Comenzar desde el principio

I nodded curtly, seeing the wisdom in his words. "All right, then. I shall join you at the earliest opportunity," I told him, before, "lead the way, my Lady."

Once again, she insisted on gliding all the way to the North Tower, which was located in the opposite direction from the dungeons. As a result, it took a total of fifteen minutes to reach the Queen's chambers.

That time could have been shortened by half, at least, had we walked a little faster.

"Your Majesty?" Lady Cara knocked thrice before entering the Queen's boudoir, "the Lady Knight."

I followed in behind her, masking my disgruntled expression with a slightly happier one.

The Queen, seated with her embroidery at the centre of the room, was surrounded by some of her Ladies-in-waiting, who were either engaged in their amusements, or engaged in various tasks and errands around the chamber for her.

She looked up at me and broke into a blinding beam. "Jules, darling! Come, sit by me, my dear," she beckoned me, her eyes twinkling lovingly.

My lips pulled up in a genuine smile at her greeting.

Queen Eleanor was like my second mother, and she had been everything to me after Mama had died, and Max had left the country. She knew and understood well the pain of losing a loved one to the clutches of death. Indeed, ten years ago, her eldest son, former Crown Prince James, had taken his own life.

Young as I had been, I remembered the whole country plunging into deep mourning. The poor boy had only been seventeen at the time of his death. Some said he could not handle the pressure of his position, while others claimed that he had lost at love.

The only person who knew the true reason for his suicide was now six feet beneath the ground, forever silenced.

Furthermore, on the very day of his funeral, twelve-year-old Prince Richard, the current Crown Prince's Nicholas' twin brother, had gone missing. One moment, he was standing by his mother's side as the eulogies were being read out, and the next moment, he was gone.

Everyone had searched high and low for him for years. To this day, no one knew where he had vanished off to, and all believed him to be dead.

His mother had been distraught, inconsolable. She had refused to leave her chambers for weeks after his disappearance, until the King had coaxed her out and persuaded her to remain strong for their family's sake.

Pain was nothing new to her, and she understood me. She had always been there, ready with a hug and good advice whenever I fell afoul of my father. At times, she reminded me so much of my own Mama, that it was saddening as much as it was comforting.

I walked towards her to sit beside her now, as Lady Cara drew up a chair for me. "Good morning, Your Majesty," I smiled tiredly, "what is this urgent matter you wished to speak to me about?"

She fondly touched my cheek in greeting. "Although the matter is not urgent," she began, "it is of certain importance, and I hope you will listen to me."

"Do I not always, Your Majesty?" I answered wryly.

Indeed, she had a way about her that could convince almost anyone around her into doing anything, including my nigh impossible father. I did not know what it was - charm or charisma - but regardless, it was a dangerous weapon in her arsenal that she knew well how to use to her advantage.

She now broke into a mischievous smile. "You are right," she agreed, before, "well, then, I am certain that you are aware that the Socials are approaching, darling."

I sensed a sudden shift in the atmosphere of the boudoir at the mention of the Socials, as the Queen's Ladies-in-waiting began to subtly listen in on our conversation.