16. Nutella.

Beginne am Anfang

Putting the two slices of toast with Nutella on one plate and two more on another, he placed one in front of me and sat down opposite me with the other for himself.

When I looked up to thank him, I realised that he was staring at me with furrowed brows. His gaze was intense as though he was trying to read my expression which I fought hard to keep neutral. I resisted the urge to squirm under his heated gaze.

"You make it sound as though there's something wrong with you." He said.

"Because there is," I said before I could stop myself.

I stared down at the slice of toast in my hand, kicking myself mentally. Why the hell couldn't I keep my mouth shut around him?

"Please don't be angry at Chad. He was only trying to help." I said, cutting him off before he could say anything.

Aleksy took a bite of his food never taking his eyes off me. The intensity of his gaze unsettled me. It left me breathless even though I knew that was not what he meant to do. Even after he had swallowed what was in his mouth, he didn't reply.

"He's your best friend... " I said and Aleksy glared at me.

"All the more reason to use his head when it comes to my mate." He growled. I sighed. I was beginning to notice that Aleksy was a little pig-headed.

-----------------------------------------------------------

ALEKSY

I watched as she nibbled on her toast. I was still seething from what had happened with her and Chad and I didn't have it in me to feel sorry about how I had lashed out at him. He deserved it.

She was so tiny and because her personality was so big, it was easy to forget how frail she really was.

I was growing increasingly frustrated by her presence. I had not felt this need to protect something in a long while.

I thought about the way she snuggled up to me in her sleep the previous night. She was warm and she looked so innocent...not to mention comfortable. I didn't like the way that made me feel.

This morning Alyssa mind-linked me when Elaheh had her panic attack. When I saw her on the floor, with her eyes fearful, the need to gather her up in my arms and protect her from her own fears almost made me throw up in my mouth. I was going soft because of a girl a barely even knew.

She had visibly relaxed when her eyes met mine and I knew she wasn't really understanding why she felt the way she did around me either. Stupid mate bond.

When she placed her hand on my chest it was like a jolt of electricity and the feeling of being so close to her and having her in my arms knowing she felt safe there did things to me I wasn't ready to deal with. She was the first person who had looked into my eyes as though they were her only hold on sanity. The only other expression that had ever crossed other people's faces was fear...even when they knew I wasn't about to hurt them. But here she was coming into my life like a tornado, doing absolutely nothing and everything to my emotions at the same time.

I had to find Sloan and I had to find him fast otherwise...this innocent and unassuming girl would be the death of me.

She sighed in contentment as she bit into the toast. It was like she didn't even remember all that had happened today. She seemed completely over the panic attack this morning and what she went through with Chad but I knew she wasn't. It would play in her mind again and again. She'd blame herself for being weak and pretend to be stronger than she actually was. How did I know? We were more alike than either of us realised.

However, she would have to continue to be strong because tomorrow I would be introducing her to the rest of the pack and in a few days, I would be taking her to a feast held in her honour. It was customary for an Alpha to host a ball to introduce his mate. The only reason I was holding it was so that people would know who exactly she was. Even if, after all this was over someone tried to mess with her, they'd know who was on her side. It was a way for me to extend my protection to her after she went back home.  All the neighbouring packs were invited. This tradition began when there was respect and peace between packs in the early days. It was against the code to go after an Alpha's mate. It was considered low and without honour.

Now, that was the first weakness that was exploited. Had I ever done it? No. I never had the need to, but would I? I didn't know yet but there was a possibility.

Now I just had to tell her about the feast.

"We have to introduce you to the rest of the pack tomorrow. " I said wondering how she would take it.

She was about to take another bite but upon hearing me, she stopped. I expected to see uncertainty or at least timidity but when she looked up at me, her incredible blue eyes were calm.

"Sure." She said.

"You'll be okay?"

She looked up at me in surprise. "Of course, I will." She said matter of factly.
"I'm the sister of an Alpha. A powerful one. I'm used to having to interact with people I don't know and being the centre of attention. "

That wasn't the reason I was asking if she would be okay but I was not about to remind her. Even if she did have a difficult time tomorrow, I would help her through it. There would be many uncomfortable situations the next day and I could only hope she would be prepared. I would tell her about the feast later.

"If you want me to train you from tomorrow, I can," I told her.

"No that's okay. I really like Chad. He's a good trainer... he just made a mistake that's all." She said. Although I knew she was just being nice about Chad, I couldn't stop the flare of jealousy I felt at her choosing him over me. Resisting the urge to shoot myself in the mouth to stop this whirlwind of emotions that flooded through me every time she was around I just nodded clenching my jaw.

"Alyssa will help you get dressed and stuff. I have work to do so I'll see you later." I said and stalked off without glancing at her.

-----------------------------------------------------------