Dream Seeker-Chapter Seven

Start from the beginning

"There is no lady. Do you want me to take you back to Dr. Johnson? Do you really want me to?" The frustration in the woman's voice showed this was not the first time she had dealt with the same issue before.

"La la la la."

The boy leaned forward across the table, pausing inches in front of his little sister's face." Shut your mouth!"

The little girl burst into tears.

His mother stood up. "That's enough. Go to your room, now."

He bolted out of the room. Gael tried to follow him. When she crossed the door way, the room spun around her. Gael walked into the same dining room. Only the furniture and the wall decorations had changed. The same woman sat in the same chair with gray streaks in her hair and a frailer figure under a red chevron dress. She skimmed through the pile of mail sitting on top of the table, grasping in her hand a sharp envelope opener. Her eyes looked desperately towards the door as her attention fell on someone standing behind Gael. At first, she did not recognize him until his fierce eyes focused on her. His hair was longer and he had yet to grow his full height but his face was undeniable. A younger version of David stood several steps from her.

"David," Gael said.

His eyes narrowed warily.

"What's wrong, honey?" His mother said, waving him to sit down.

"Nothing," he said, glaring at Gael as he walked passed her and sat down.

"We don't have enough to pay the council this month."

"Yes, I know."

"What are we supposed to do?" Her eyes glistened with tears.

"I have a plan," he said with a blank expression on his face.

"Do you, really? I don't understand how he could do this to us."

"Mom, he didn't want to burden you with worries-"

"But he chose to burden me with this?" She tossed a handful of letters across the table. David remained motionless.

"Talk to me!" she yelled, no longer holding back the tears in her eyes. He slowly stood up and walked around to his mother, placing his hand on her shoulder.

"I'll do anything so that we can keep this house."

"That's an empty promise. There is nothing any of us can do."

"Doctor Johnson's offer still remains on the table."

"I don't trust that man."

David hesitated, gathering his thoughts. "He is a very intelligent man, and I trust him," he finally said, but Gael saw confliction in his eyes.

His mother glanced at the letters and looked back up at David. "I would rather lose this house than lose my son."

"He promised no one would get hurt. He will do the test under controlled settings. He thinks the full potential of my abilities can be brought out in these sessions."

His mother shook her head in opposition. "How can he call himself a doctor? He was supposed to help cure you not encourage you."

David sighed, glancing back over his shoulder at Gael. " He's our last option, mom. Do you remember that lady I kept seeing when I was younger?"

Mrs. Labraque stared at him cautiously. "You saw many things when you were younger. Even Dr. Johnson thought you had an overactive imagination back then."

"She's in this room, right now. She's been listening to our entire conversation, and she's real, mom. She's not a ghost," he said, flatly

Her eyes widened." No, not the one with the white dress."