Chapter One

Sixteen Years Later 

"Ellie," He sighed, "just go to dinner with this man. Just for one night. Please?"

Eleanor stared at her father in disbelief. Why did he insist on forcing men upon her? All she wanted was to be a fisherman, like her father, and like his fathers before him. She wanted to work hard to earn her living, not being stuck pampered by some rich family.

She refused to be involved with any rich man or aristocrat; besides - a wealthy man was sure to be stuck-up and pompous. She would rather run about town in nothing but her chemise and stockings!

"Father," Eleanor insisted, "we're not like them. You don't have to mingle with those kinds of people."

Her father, Jack, smiled tiredly. The man looked old and tired; what was once a fresh, young face had become hard and weathered. The sea air had toughened him; though he was still the gentle soul she knew. "Now, Ellie," he murmured, "I don't have to mingle with those 'kinds' of people, but you do."

"Why must I?" She protested, "if you won't, then I won't."

Jack sighed, running a hand through his greying hair. "I am but a simple fisherman. You, my darling Eleanor, are a young and beautiful woman - desired by many a man," He shook his head, "you were born to live the life of a princess - not this life."

She could hear the heavy guilt in his voice. "But father, I like this life," Eleanor said, "I do not wish to court any man!"

Jack let out a tired chuckle. He had tried. Pushing his daughter toward a life of luxury had not worked, and he had attempted many a time. But she preferred this peasant life, of all things!

His daughter - his Ellie. She was a sight to behold indeed. With long, silky black hair, a porcelain face and eyes the colour of a raging storm, she was beautiful. She was a slim, petite girl, with slender arms and legs, and high cheekbones. Almost every man in St. Peter Port had asked him for permission to court her.

"And I won't be going to that dinner you arranged," Eleanor stated hotly. "Tell George I would rather sleep with the horses."

Jack stared after her in amazement. Part of him was disappointed that he had failed once again, but another side rejoiced. Naturally, he did not want any man to take her away from him. Eleanor had brought him nothing but joy to his simple life. How could he deny that?

***

Eleanor sat atop her hill, which overlooked the harbour. From here, she could see the ocean, it all of its beautiful glory. Coming here always soothed her worries; the calm, pulsing swell of the sea always comforted her. Since she was but a child, the ocean had been her haven. In the ocean, she could let herself forget everything.

But she knew this time the ocean could not help her.

Eleanor was turning sixteen, and, soon, she would be chartered off to live with some stranger. It was her father's dream for her to be 'happily' married; living the life of a princess. She very much liked the life she had now - her simple, ocean-filled life. It was peaceful, happy, calming. That was all she wanted.

She closed her eyes, breathing in deeply. Delicious sea air filled her senses; it comforted her mentally and physically. The breeze was warm - neither humid nor cold; a nice temperature. Perfect for a swim.

With a grin, Eleanor stood up, and began running towards the beach nearest the dock. This particular beach was a favourite of hers, as it was secluded. Hardly anyone came here, apart from her and maybe the odd straggler.