Chapter Three

Wait, what? I'm uploading? WHAT IS THIS? Haha, sorry for the VERY long wait. I've tried to make this a longer chapter, but it didn't really work. But it's got some lovely Mark/Ava moments! Enjoy XD Also, I don't want any comments/messages about the accuracy of this chapter. Some dialogue is word-for-word what JK Rowling wrote, and some isn't. Just deal with it >.< Also, don't be afraid to correct my grammar and spelling if you catch something I didn't! Honestly, last chapter I just found that I wrote "she was one of the best-looking guys at Hogwarts." Awkward...

----

"Well," Dumbledore began, his deep voice ringing through the Great Hall. "Now that we are all digesting another magnificent feast, I beg a few moments of your attention."

The students listened dutifully as Dumbledore went through the familiar start of term notices. Students snickered as usual when he brought up the no-magic-in-the-corridors rule; nobody followed that one.

"I'd like to introduce some changes in staffing," Dumbledore continued, and everyone perked up. All of the students wanted to know who was going to be their new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor. "Professor Grubby-Plank is back to teach Care of Magical Creatures." Students all around exchanged surprised glances when they realized Hagrid was missing. Ava was disgruntled to see that most of them were not dismayed, but the actually looked rather happy at the news. "And I am pleased to introduce Professor Umbridge, the new Defense against the Dark Arts teacher."

There was a polite applause as the woman to Dumbledore's right smiled sweetly at the students. Ava couldn't help but be slightly repulsed by this woman- she was very ugly and had a squashed face that resembled that of a toad.

Dumbledore then continued to talk about tryouts for the House Quidditch teams. Ava found Oliver from across the hall and shot him a grin. Oliver grinned back excitedly. He was a Chaser on the Slytherin Quidditch team and he was the best on the team, though nothing compared to Gryffindor's Chasers, in Ava's opinion.

Dumbledore suddenly broke off, and the students looked up curiously. The toad-like woman, Professor Umbridge, had gotten to her feet and cough slightly. "Hem, hem."

Dumbledore stared, slightly taken aback. Hogwarts students all around shot each other bewildered looks. Melanie raised her eyebrows at Ava and mouthed something Ava thought was, "What the hell?" Teachers sitting at the front table were looking at Professor Umbridge with a mixture of shock, disdain, and disapproval. Professor McGonagall tightened her jaw and glared at Professor Umbridge.

Dumbledore quickly regained his composure  and sat back down, cocking his head as if inviting her to speak. Professor Umbridge smiled sweetly.

"Thank you, Headmaster," she simpered, "for those kind words of welcome." Ava shuddered at the sound of her voice. It was much too high-pitched and breathy. Professor Umbridge straightened her fluffy pink cardigan before she continuing her speech. "It's lovely to be back at Hogwarts, I must say! And to see such happy little faces looking back at me!" She smiled widely at the students, who all looked apalled rather than happy. Melanie snorted loudly.

Professor Umbridge ignored the students' expressions and went on, all the fake sweetness leaving her voice.  She sounded much more businesslike as she continued with her dull speech.

"The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance."

Fred Weasley, a fellow  Gryffindor who was a year older, was a couple seat away from Ava as he let out a giant snore. Ava, along with many other students, let out a small giggle. Professor Umbridge just gave a sickly smile and let out another "Hem, hem," before continuing with her speech.