The Avengers' Recruits

Start from the beginning

Clint grew pale. "I don't think you would have made it past that day. You looked on the brink of death then."

"How long has it been?"

"Two days." But it wasn't Clint who spoke. It was a balding brown haired man standing in the doorway. He was a little shorter than the average man, about in his late forties. Small brown eyes were set in his narrow face with a pointed chin and perfect straight nose. He wore a suit and formal black shoes and looked very professional. The man stepped forward and held out his hand.

"Agent Phil Coulson,." he introduced himself as I shook his hand. "It is a pleasure to meet you Elizabeth Barton. Clint has told me so much about you."

"Agent Coulson, did there happen to be another person in the facility, a boy who was also being used for GECS?" I couldn't help but ask.

Agent Coulson frowned. "No, just you." Tears burned my eyes. So the Operators were telling the truth. Henry was long gone.

Clint took my hand worriedly. "Are you okay?"

I sniffed and nodded. He looked down at the floor and swallowed hard. "Our parents are gone so now it's just you and me. We only have each other. And I promise I will be every bit the big brother I was and a parent. I'll take care of you alright? We will be okay."

"You've been busy." I snapped out of my memories and looked around, surprised. I had been. Every single target in the training room had at least three knives in the bull's eye. There were about a dozen targets dangling from the high ceiling as well as each wall.

"My mind has been wandering." I replied softly as I went around, taking the knives out of the targets.

Phil smiled sympathetically. "You're worrying about your brother again."

"Not exactly," I sighed heavily. "I am not afraid for Clint's well-being. Loki needs him. He won't hurt him, especially as he already has him brainwashed and under his power."

"That is very true. It is also why getting the Tesseract is our top priority and not rescuing Agent Barton. We will get him back in time, but for now, all our efforts are being put into finding the Tesseract. If we don't, the entire world will be in great danger."

"I know. Phil...?"

"Yes?"

"You and I are good friends, right?"

"Of course," he replied gently.

"What if you and I went after Clint? Then S.H.I.E.L.D. wouldn't have to use any of their resources to go after him. You and Clint did it for me when S.H.I.E.L.D. felt positive I was dead."

"That was different."

"How?" I threw my hands up in exasperation. "How was that any different?"

"Then, there wasn't a huge weapon in enemy hands. Also, everyone thought you were dead, except Barton and he was going to do whatever it took to get you back. This time, we know Barton is alive. We also know he is okay and as long as his life isn't in any danger, we don't need to worry." I shook my head and scowled. "But there is something you could do to help him."

"What's that?" I asked suspiciously.

"You would do anything for Clint wouldn't you?" He waited until I nodded. "Director Fury wants you to come in, Ghost." He broadcasted his thoughts to me so I knew what lied behind Nick Fury's harmless request. I was shaking my head before Phil had even finished speaking.