Promise Ending

~Mike's POV~

"Why did you leave me behind?"

I ran as fast as I could towards the abyss. That's where Max was and I had to stop him from doing this stupid ritual!

"You promised you would never leave me..."

That voice again.. Was that Sae? I clench my fists as I force myself to go faster until I reach the bottom of the stairs. I slowly go into a walk as I look around confused. However when I see Max limping toward the abyss panic swells in my heart. "Max!!" I cry his name before I quickly begin to run toward him. However something happens when I pass the red gate..

~Yae's POV~

Everything becomes clear as I emerge from Mike. I don't hesitate as I walk towards my twin that I had left behind those years ago. I watch Sae turn toward me. A look of shock on his face. I continue walking toward him until only a foot is between us. I look down at the ground as many emotions swirl through my head. "Sae." "You came. I always knew you would." His words make the guilt worsen. I quickly continue to speak."Please, forgive me. I know I promised I would never leave you, but-" "I  know and I understand." I couldn't help feel relief as I looked up at him. When I see the mourner point down I knew it was time. We both walk over to the abyss's edge and we both look down. We both speak at the same time. "We promised we always would be together.." I gently grab his hand and when he squeezed back our red rope reconnects. "And now.. We can keep that promise."

~Mike's POV~

I watch the scene in front of me as a feel a bit of warmth in my chest. They finally reunited. However something caught my attention. They both were going to go down into the abyss! Panic fills my chest again and I quickly dart toward them. My arms wrap around Max's waist and I quickly pull him back; away from the abyss's edge. I hear Yae's voice speak, "I will never let you go again."

Max sat in front of me as my arms were still wrapped tightly around him. I bury my face into his shoulder as I cry his name softly. "Max.. Max! I made it in time!" I whisper as relief flooded through me. I pull my face up slowly as my arms loosely hang on Max's shoulders. We both watch a crimson butterfly emerge from the pit. "Thank you." We hear Sae and Yae's voice both say before more butterflies emerge. A smile appears on my lips as I watch. The village was now at peace.

After we leave the mansion and go back toward the entrance to the village my hand is tightly gripping Max's hand. We stand in place as we watch the butterflies fly around. I open my mouth to speak softly, "You know.. I always thought if I had been holding your hand back then.." I trail off before Max replies. "I was scared.. I was scared that you would leave me behind. I always knew we would live and die separately.. I just couldn't accept that. However you stayed with me ever since then." He gently squeezes my hand and I smile sadly. "Even if we can't become one I will never leave behind you again." I promised as we both looked at the sunrise. This nightmare was finally over.