1

Hiruzen Sarutobi was furious. He'd just found out that his successor's son, Naruto, had been kicked out of the orphanage a year ago and that he'd been living on the streets ever since. Not to mention all the completely unnecessary beatings the villagers had been giving the poor boy for the past three years!

Currently, the aged Hokage was sitting next to Naruto's hospital bed while the blond five year old Jinchuriki was sleeping peacefully. The young boy deserved better than this. Much better than this.

Ibiki had reported not that long ago his findings from interrogating a few of the villagers that had been brutally beating Naruto black and blue. Hiruzen had known for a while that the Citizen Council had grown too powerful, but he'd always just ignored it since they didn't seem to have any malicious intent. But his patience with them was gone.

Hiruzen was seeing red, and there was a pretty big chance it was blood.

The aged man was brought out of his thoughts when the young boy stirred next to him.

"Huh? Oh, hey old man! How're ya doing?" Naruto asked as soon as his eyes landed on the Hokage. His smile was as big, goofy, and genuine as always, which broke the Hokage's heart. How could a child endure such abuse and hardship, yet still remain pure and innocent and loving? How could a child not feel the affects of the glares and harsh words? How could a child, living in fear for his life, still be happy, joyful, and forgiving? How could Naruto still be... Naruto?

Minato was right sealing the nine tails into you, Naruto. You are most definitely a strong one... Hiruzen thought sadly, a tear sliding down his cheek. He pulled Naruto into a tight embrace and didn't let go, despite the young boys protests.

"I'm sorry, Naruto... I'm sorry I didn't do anything... I... I should have done something..." Hiruzen said softly as the blond Jinchuriki resigned himself to the hug.

Naruto gently pulled back and looked into Hiruzen's crying eyes. "It's not your fault, old man. I don't know why they say and do those things to me, but it's not your fault," he said as he gently wiped the tears from Hiruzen's wrinkled face.

It was at that moment that Hiruzen knew what he needed to do. Naruto, and many others, deserved better than Hiruzen was able to give them thanks to the imbalance of power. The Citizen Council had too much control over the inner workings of the village, and, because he had turned a blind eye to it, Hiruzen no longer had the power to fix it.

Now he only had two options. One, stay in the Leaf and let them walk all over him and everyone else, or two, leave the village. Since there was no way in heck that Hiruzen was going to let them keep walking all over him, that meant he was leaving. And he was taking his family with him.