1 Abandonment

We escaped. We saw that the Imperial Demon Army was a fraud. Countless soldiers had died, trying to come this far to fight off the vampires. In the end, it was a facade. Maybe Mika was right... we shouldn't have come back.

All of us shuffled along the beach shore. It began to rain as I looked up into the sky. Is this it? All that I worked for?

"Yu." I heard Mika call. "Are you all right?"

I glanced at him. Looking back over the horizon, the clouds were quickly tying in, and all I could have done was sigh. "Yeah, I am. Let's keep moving."

At the end of the beach, we came across an abandoned shelter. It was like a box, worn out from over the years. I thought that perhaps we could rest here for the night, before moving on to our next unknown destination.

"Are you insane???" Kimizuki asked. "Why here?"

"Well do you have a better idea, smart ass?" I retaliated.

"I can come up with plenty other than lingering here."

Shinoa got between us, holding her arms out. "Guys, please don't fight. We'll think of something." I returned my glare to him and looked away. I couldn't stay mad...not after what happened in the battlefield. And his sister...

"We're staying here for the night, until we think of something better."

"That seems reasonable." Yoichi spoke.

"It's better than wandering around lost too." Mitsuba agreed.

"Alright guys. I'll go and check if this is a legit spot to reside in." I slowly placed my duffle bag on the floor, taking my katana into my hand firmly. Approaching the shelter, I moved the weary curtains aside and peeked inside. There wasn't much to consider, but it was enough to manage. There were two semi-worn out sleeping bags, and four sheets with four stuffed rice bags of cotton inside.

Mika walked in. "Did you find anything useful?"

I yielded my katana back into my carrier, placing it by the wall. "Yeah, this is good enough." I smiled. I peeked out, calling the others. "Hey! Everything seems to be good here! Come in!"

The four looked at each other unsure. But they still went along. I moved aside as everyone scrutinized what was provided. "Are you sure this is okay?" Makato queried.

I furrowed my eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

He walked around cautiously. "I mean, where are we going to get food, and water? And there aren't enough beds to even use."

Mitsuba dropped her bag next to a purple sleeping bag. "Well, I don't know about you guys, but I'm taking this one."

"And this one!!" Shinoa claimed the red sleeping bag."

The rest of us boys looked at the left over sheets. Only four were available. "So then what about these?" Makato pointed to the sheets.

"Well, I don't mind sleeping without a sheet or pillow if that's what you're asking." Kimizuki said.

"I don't mind either." Yoichi added.

"Doesn't matter to me either." I smiled.

"Well, until you guys figure out how you're going to work that out, I'll go find some food."

"I'm coming with you." Shinoa said.

The girls left, leaving us to still make the decision. "I think you should have a sheet and pillow, Kimizuki." Yoichi suggested.