A New Team Member

Kogami was having a bad day. Actually, he could probably consider it one of the worst days of his life. He'd pulled three all-nighters in a row at the office to keep up with the workload and the stress was finally getting to him. This, of course, led him to snap at one of his superiors, which then led to a hue check which then led to mandatory therapy.

Of course, all this had only happened because Sasayama had been caught slacking off on the job and Kogami was the one being blamed for it. Not only did that mean that he would be getting yelled at by Chief Kasei, but Ginoza as well for not keeping Sasayama on a tighter leash.

And that was all piled on top of the fact that today was orientation day for all junior Inspectors, which meant that Division One was getting a new teammate. Kogami groaned at the thought as he entered the debriefing room. It wasn't that he minded a new member, but they were still adjusting to having Kunizuka on the team. Another newbie would just mean more mistakes, which meant more paperwork for him.

Not that he was in any position to talk, of course. Kogami had only been an Inspector for about two years, and he had only recently been transferred from Division Three. Even so, he supposed that any experience was better than no experience.

"Hey! Ko!" Mitsuru Sasayama's familiar voice broke Kogami's train of thought. He turned to see the Enforcer waving at him from the fifth row. Beside him sat the other Division One Enforcers as well as a very annoyed Ginoza. Kogami sighed and went to sit between Sasayama and Ginoza. To his surprise, Ginoza was seated next Enforcer Masaoka, a strange thing for both men.

Sasayama didn't seem to notice that anything was off and continued babbling. "What do you think our new recruit will be like? Maybe it'll be a chick, a really hot one."

Kogami felt both Ginoza and Masaoka stiffen beside him. Turning to the men, he asked, "Are you two okay?"

Masaoka nodded but it was Gino who spoke first. "Just ready for orientation to be over." The Inspector kept his eyes on the first row where the trainees were sitting.

Kogami narrowed his eyes at his partner. It was unusual for Ginoza to keep anything from him, let alone keep it from him and tell Masaoka. Something must have been really wrong for them to be conspiring. The Inspector followed Nobuchika's gaze to see a girl sitting in the aisle seat of the first row. She had dark hair which went past her shoulders, and when she turned to talk with someone next to her, Kogami's heart skipped a beat.

'Beautiful' was not a word Kogami liked to use as a description – it was too vague, too subjective. Even so, it was the only word he could think of when he saw the woman. She was pale with delicate features, and her green eyes betrayed only confidence and a hint of excitement.

Sasayama's whistle broke through the Inspector's trance. He turned to see his friend looking at the same girl with hungry eyes. "Damn, she's fine," he commented. Kogami fought back the urge to grit his teeth. Mitsuru wasn't really a bad guy, but he did have his moments. "What's a guy gotta do to get her on this team?"

"Enforcer Sasayama." Ginoza's tense voice surprised Kogami, causing him to turn and look at his friend. Nobuchika's eyes were still trained on the girl, but his expression had turned dangerous, and his jaw was tight. "If you value your life, I suggest you shut up for once."

But the Enforcer just laughed, oblivious to how pissed Gino really was. "What's wrong, Gino?" he teased lightly. "That your girl or something? She's a little young for you, don't ya think? Man, she must be a beast in the sack –"

Suddenly Masaoka was on his feet, reaching past the Inspectors for Sasayama. "You little prick!" he roared. For a moment Kogami was too shocked at the outburst to do anything. Luckily, Gino wasn't fazed and quickly stood up to hold the older man back. Mitsuru stood up, ready to accept the older Enforcer's challenge, but Kagari and Kunizuka managed to stop him before things could get worse. Kogami broke out of his trance in time to help them, but it was too late.

"Inspector Ginoza! Inspector Kogami! What is going on here?" demanded Chief Kasei as she stood from her seat in the front row. The team froze and turned as one to look at the chief sheepishly. She glared at them from behind her spectacles. "Division One, meet in my office. Now."

Kogami fought back a groan as he and the rest of the division shuffled out of the auditorium. Today had definitely been the worst day ever. Even so... As he walked, Kogami turned to look at the dark-haired girl one more time.

She had turned to watch the team, and her green eyes were filled with shame and disappointment. Shaking her head, the girl turned back around and said something to her neighbor. Kogami sighed turned to continue walking, but he hadn't been the only one watching the beautiful new Inspector. A few feet ahead, Ginoza sighed sadly as he looked at the girl one last time before walking out the door to Chief Kasei's office.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Irresponsible! Unprofessional!" Chief Kasei paced the room as the rest of Division One sat on the couches, bowing their heads in shame. "Honestly, I'm used to this sort of thing from Sasayama or Kagari –" Both men tried to protest but were immediately silenced by warning glares from the others. "But you two should know better!"

Ginoza lifted his head and stood. "Chief Kasei, we apologize for our behavior earlier. I take full responsibility for this incident and I promise it won't happen again."

The chief sighed and looked between Ginoza and Masaoka. Kogami could tell the older man hadn't really been listening, but he wasn't sure why Masaoka was so distracted. "I know this is an especially stressful day for the two of you, but I cannot allow this sort of behavior to go unpunished. So, as punishment, Division One will be handling night patrol for the next two weeks."

Kogami fought back the urge to groan. Damn you, Sasayama, and your big mouth. None of the others dared to complain either. They all knew just how much trouble they were in, and nobody wanted to make things worse.

"Now then," continued the chief, pushing back her white hair. "I think it's time for all of you to meet your new teammate. Pressing a button on her desk, the chief motioned to the doors. They opened automatically to reveal the same dark-haired girl who had caused all this trouble to begin with.

Stepping into the room, the woman bowed slightly to the chief, but before she could say anything, Ginoza was already stepping towards her. "Harumi," he began, his expression concerned. "What are you doing here?"

The girl – Harumi, apparently – narrowed her green eyes at him in annoyance. "I'm trying to do my job," she replied. "But my senior Inspector seems to be an idiot."

"Hey," Gino chided angrily. "Don't call me an idiot. I'm still your senior."

"Then why don't you act like it instead of picking fights like a child?"

"Do you always have to be such a brat?"

"Takes one to know one!"

"Enough!" Masaoka's voice cut through the room. His tone was stern, and he looked annoyed. "Both of you need to stop bickering. We're in enough trouble as it is and we don't need any more."

Both Nobuchika and Harumi looked away, their expressions furious, but neither said anything else. "Now then," Chief Kasei said, nodding to Masaoka gratefully. "I'd like to introduce to all of you, Harumi Masaoka, the newest addition to Division One."

The rest of the team's eyes widened collectively as the chief's words settled in. "Holy shit!" exclaimed Sasayama as he tried to scramble up from his place on the chair of the sofa, succeeding in only falling on his face. He stood up and stared the girl in shock. "Wait a minute," he said, still shocked. "Your last name is Masaoka? But that means..." He trailed off, seeming to realize just how badly he had screwed up.

"That's right, Sasayama," Ginoza said, keeping his eyes on Harumi. "She's not my girlfriend." Narrowing his eyes at the brown-haired Enforcer, he continued, "She's my sister."