Chapter 20, Raining Vampires

Start from the beginning

Sarah moaned quietly, and we all heard a loud crack. We looked at each other in alarm. Another bone. Which one?

The X-ray was ready for viewing. Carlisle and Edward looked at the ribs. They exchanged a worried glance, and Carlisle pointed at a couple of the ribs. "Jacob, we need you up here."

I could hear Jacob running up the stairs. "What do you need?"

Carlisle gave him a measuring look. "I wanted to show you these X-rays. This one is in danger of puncturing the right lung." He looked at Edward, who nodded. He stared at the X-rays again. "Do you see the sliver that's come loose over here? Any movement could cut into this artery." We could see where he was pointing. It was the aorta. She could die before she would become a vampire. It was a miracle she wasn't dead already.

"Jacob, I know you don't like doing it, but, as Ephraim's heir, you're the only one that can approve the creation of a vampire without breaking our treaty."

Jacob ground his teeth. I could see that he didn't like the creation of a new vampire on his shoulders. He didn't know Sarah. Austin might be an animal eater, but that was no guarantee Sarah would be. He looked torn. He sighed.

We could all see clearly from the X-rays that the only options were death or the creation of a vampire. He glanced at me. I was still a living being.

He shuddered. I knew Jacob. He didn't want the death of someone on his conscience, but if he approved this, how many humans would be at risk?

Another crack sounded in the room. "Jacob." Carlisle's look was intense. "We don't have any time."

Finally, Jacob whispered, "I give you permission, as Ephraim's heir, to transform Sarah into a vampire. This action will not affect the treaty." He turned on his heel and raced down the stairs and out the door. He needed some alone time.

Carlisle didn't need to talk to Edward, but he knew Austin would want to know what they were doing. "The venom will need to be inserted carefully. This piece of bone must be missed." Edward nodded grimly. This was going to be dicey. They looked at the x-rays again, memorizing the placement of the ribs, the fractured bone, and the splinters that could be fatal.

I could hear the stifled, dry sob from Austin. Choking tears that a vampire couldn't shed.

I closed my eyes and prayed. I didn't want to see this human die.

Edward looked at Carlisle. "Should the venom be administered now or after the baby is born?"

Carlisle spoke, again, for Austin's benefit. Edward didn't need Carlisle's voice. "It would be best if we do them at the same time."

They looked at the x-rays. Death seemed written all over them. "Has the morphine taken affect?" Carlisle asked.

I reached out and touched Sarah's foot. It didn't move. "I think it has." I could smell the sickly sweet morphine in her blood.

Carlisle handed out our masks and hats. Austin accepted his wordlessly.

Sarah was sheeted and in position quickly. Carlisle looked at Austin. "How long have you been eating animals?"

"Two years."

Edward and Carlisle exchanged glances. "Edward has your collected venom. I think it would be best if you waited in the hallway."

Austin nodded and quickly left the room. Carlisle was speaking for me. "We will have to work quickly. Edward, you have experience with the placenta. You work on the caesarian. I will inject the venom." Edward nodded his understanding.