Chapter 20, Raining Vampires

The vampire smiled hesitantly at Mom. "I've been distracted. I should introduce myself. My name is Austin."

Mom tried to smile, but I saw the worry in her face. Jasper was at the hospital collecting monitoring machines. "I'm glad you got here before..." She left the sentence unfinished. What was there to say?

Austin shuddered.

Sarah was sitting up, but her shivering body didn't look like there was much life left. She coughed lightly and then moaned, clutching her side. I wondered again how many ribs were broken.

I hoped Jasper would hurry with the equipment.

Dad came down the stairs. "Carlisle's library has been rearranged. As soon as Jasper gets here with the x-ray machine and monitors, we can proceed."

Esme followed quickly with a comforter in her arms. She gently lowered it around Sarah. I could smell the down. It was light but warm.

Sarah's short blond bob was slick with sweat, and her gray eyes were full of pain. Esme carried another cup of grizzly to her. She greedily sucked on the straw. That seemed to be the only move she could make with any strength. She rested her head against the back of the couch.

Emmett walked out the door when he heard the approach of his jeep. He and Jasper carried in the x-ray machine and monitors. Carlisle had arrived in the Mercedes. He followed them upstairs. He must've been making sure everything was in order.

Within moments, Carlisle rushed back down. He approached Austin and quietly said. "I don't know that's it's possible for a human to give birth to a vampire child without becoming a vampire herself. I'll do the best I can, but we need to collect some of your venom, just in case."

Austin trembled. "I don't know how."

"Edward will show you." Dad led Austin up the stairs. I assumed he'd be collecting the venom.

I shuddered and looked at Sarah. Would she live long enough for the venom to cure her?

"Time to move you, I think." Carlisle carefully picked up the fragile human and carried her up the stairs.

Bella

Time stood still. If a vampire could be in shock, that would be me.

Seeing another woman living through what I had barely managed to survive made it all seem more real.

Carlisle called from upstairs. "Bella, can you assist, please?"

I raced upstairs. Edward and Carlisle were wheeling the bed to the X-ray machine. The whir of the machine was the only sound in the room other than Sarah's shallow breathing and the un-rhythmic thumping of her heart.

They didn't have much time. Her heart couldn't fail or she wouldn't even survive this as a vampire.

Austin was standing next to the wall, still as a statue. His panic was evident in his eyes. Jasper didn't trust himself to be near the operation of a human. He had left the house. We would have to struggle through without his calming influence.

Esme had brought up another cup of grizzly. Carlisle caught her eye and shook his head slightly. "She can't have any more until after the operation. I can't risk asphyxiation." She nodded and headed back downstairs. I could hear the liquid sloshing as she moved.

Edward moved to Sarah's side and administered a shot of morphine.

I didn't dare tell him the morphine wasn't going to have an effect on her pain if she had to transform into a vampire. Someday, I would have to tell Carlisle morphine doesn't work on the pain of vampire venom. That day wasn't going to be it.