Preview

He only looked at me. Nate's gaze flickered from me to the other side of he cliff.

"Way to state the obvious, Matthew." Andy started as he walked to the cliff edge, unknowingly shoving Nate out of his way. Nate only stood there, watching something on the other side of the gouge closely.

I actually have no idea what he's looking at. Morgan stood on one side of him, and Hunter was minding his own business on Nate's other side.

"Does anyone know the other way out of here?" Brett asked quietly.

"To me, this looks like a deserted waste land," Nate started. "But there's something over there, I've been looking at for a while.. And I think that's somewhere we might wanna be if we're ever going to survive here."

Mark looked at him for a moment. "I like Nate's plan." He said.

Nate looked over at him slightly confused. "It wasn't a plan Mark, it was more of a suggestion." Nate stated. "I don't know about you guys, but I don't really feel like dying in an unknown waste land."

He's on edge, I can tell. It's the way he's talking.

"So then, what way do we go?" Hunter asked turning to his buddy.

"I don't know, I think, this way." Nate pointed to the left.

"It's worth a shot." Mark sighed walking down towards the left. We all followed but Nate and Morgan trailed behind slowly.

Nate just looked confused, and Morgan just stuck by his side. It was a silent four minutes that we've been walking. There would be the occasional converse between Brett and Hunter, and sometimes Andy and Mark, but Nate, Morgan, Hunter and myself remained silent. The silence from Nate is actually killing me. He is NEVER this quiet. Not even Morgan is this quiet.  

That's when Nate suddenly stopped. Morgan and the rest stopped as well, everyone looking at him.

"Nate? Nate, whats wrong?" Morgan asked.

He looked up, looking through the group. ".. You guys didn't feel that?" He asked.

"Feel what?" I ask.

What is he talking about? Is he actually losing his mind? Has being stuck here drove him crazy?

He looked at me shocked. "Yo-- You didn't feel the ground shake a minute ago?" He asked.

I glance to Mark and Hunter. Both of them shook they're heads.

"Sorry, buddy." Hunter answered.

Nate looked over to his girlfriend. "Morgan? Don't tell me you didn't feel it!" He sounded desperate.

She shook her head, looking down at him. "No, but I don't think it was anything."

He looked shocked. "You didn't feel that!?"

Everyone remained silent.

"Let's just keep going." Morgan whispered gently pulling Nate's arm.

We walked along the edge of the cliff, trying to Pin the exact direction we have to go.

Nate then stopped again. I feel the ground shaking. He's not just saying things.

Nate looked up. "Yo--"

"I felt that one, Nate!" I say.

Morgan looked over at Nate, holding his arm. She was on right side - the closest to the cliff.

I was about to take a step, when I heard Morgan scream quietly. I turn back to them to see the edge, Nate and Morgan were standing on, cracked, half of it crumbling away beneath them falling down into what looked like an endless pit. Nate backed up grabbing her hand, trying to pull her up. He was losing his footing, and his grip. She was about to fall and take him with her.

I can't let either of them fall. Just as I went to help, Mark and Hunter jumped forward, grabbing Nate's arm, trying to pull both of them up.

But just as Mark pulled Nate up, Morgan's grip loosened. My own vision blurred, but I saw Morgan fall. My vision cleared, and what I saw was true. Morgan wasn't there! Nate jumped forward  towards the broken edge, but Mark grabbed both his arms, locking them with his arm.

"No!" I hear Nate faintly cry, his voice breaking. Everything was moving in slow motion. I watched Mark pull a heart broken Nate away from the edge. Everyone stood where they were silently watching Mark fight to restrain Nate.

"Morgan!!"