Chapter 6: Frequency (Ayato, Reiji, Subaru)

Start from the beginning

"I suppose the pain in your heart went away."

"It did."

"Because I took care of you," Ayato insisted, clasping my shoulders in both of his hands. "You are mine, Miyako."

Once again I let out a sigh; square one.

~

"Reiji, what do you need help with, exactly?"

"This, he growled, shoving a neat pile of papers across the table at me with out sparing them a glance.

"Tests," I murmured. "Hey some of these are mine-"

"Of course they are," he snapped, his red eyes fixed out the window.

"And these others... are they really yours?" I asked uncertainly, staring at the bad marks.

"Yes!"

I looked up worriedly at the tone in his voice, feeling slightly defensive. He didn'ts speak as if he wanted me to put two and two together, and I had, but if he wanted help then he would have to ask. Politely.

After a while of staring, he grew agitated.

"What?" he demanded.

"You're the one who called me here, you tell me."

Isn't it obvious?"

"Yes...?"

"Help me," he growled, adjusting his glasses. "Please."

"Of course," I said, giving him a small but warm smile. "We'll go over the ones you missed then revise any you were uncertain about."

"Okay," Reiji agreed, his red eyes flashing as he pulled the tests back to him.

He didn't speak much but for the occasional question. Each time he asked, he seemed reluctant as if he was ashamed. Each time he did this, I accepted the question positively, yet if I didn't watch it, he might think I was being condescending. His wrath was something that would most certainly impede this moment of peace.

As he worked, I glanced out the window. My eyes widened and I inhaled in horror; there she was. Again. The purple haired woman. My heart throbbed in response and I put a hand to it. Although I couldn't make out her face, I could see her teeth gleaming; they were pearly, pointed, lethal.

"She's a vampire," I whispered.

"Pardon? "Reiji asked, looking up from his work.

I jumped at the sound of his voice and pain like a thick needle pricked through my ribs.

"It's nothing, sorry to disturb you," I groaned, clutching at the front of my shirt.

"You're as pale as chalk. Don't lie to me."

He sat awaiting answer, his black hair shifting slightly as he lifted his chin.

"My heart... each time I feel pain in my heart, I see a woman with long purple hair in a black dress; she's a vampire," I murmured faintly as the pain faded. "I think I might need to go back to the hospital."

"I don't think so," Reiji objected, lacing his fingers together in thought. "I will look into it."

"Do you know the woman?"

"Perhaps, now quiet down and let me finish."

I obeyed, relinquishing my grip on my chest. The pain was only a memory.

"There," he proclaimed solemnly, pushing the redone problems across the table toward me.

I revised them, marking them appropriately.