Chapter One: A New Place

Screams fill the air, the smell of smoke thick. People are rushing past me and pushing me out of the way, for I am running straight into the heart of the destruction. I can't stop the tears streaming down my face. What had my village ever done to deserve this... this carnage?

"Mother! Father! Lawrence!" I shout, pulling my skirt up even higher. I'm so angry, angry with Marcus for not wanting to save my family, angry with whoever was doing this, angry with myself for not being at home to protect my family.

There are those awful people who attacked us everywhere but they most are not concerned with me and some are even being fought by strangely dressed people.

My hopes soar as I near the house, noticing my father battling with one of the attackers. Normally, this shouldn't be good, but he's alive oh god thank you he's alive! He skillfully takes the man down and for once I am glad for the fighting Father loves so much.

"Father! Papa!" I call out to him and his eyes meet mine, his face going pale.

"Father we need to-" He cuts me off, placing his hand to my mouth and dragging me to the nearest alleyway.

"You and your brother need to leave here Kaydence, I already know of a boat you can catch." Father says, placing his hands on either side of my head and-

"You look lost in thought there Kaydence." Lawrence's voice shakes me from my memory. I sigh and pull my wrap around my shoulders tightly to block out the cold air of the sea.

"I can't get it out of my head, that day I mean. I relive it constantly." I admit and shake my head in an attempt to stop the oncoming tears.

"You must not think of it now. That life is not ours to live anymore. Or at least to claim. It's too dangerous." Lawrence responds, squeezing my shoulder. Anger races through me at that. I'm still not sure why we are running or who we are running from. Father refused to tell me and yet he told my younger brother who also refuses to tell me. I grip my wrap tighter as I study the approaching city.

The big city is quite different from our small village. The buildings seem never ending, stretching as far back as I can see. Even out here on the ship I can faintly here the sounds of a busy city. The buildings are beautiful, most are rounded at the top. I try to imagine myself living in one and being in such a city, but I can't. This is not my home. This is not a place I could ever call home.

I shift my gaze to Lawrence. He's studying the city as I had been, his dark brown eyes scanning everything. Despite being younger than me, my brother looks so old. He looks as though he's seen enough to last him a life time. He has Father's unruly curly brown hair and Mother's pale complexion. He looks like a man with the height and size of him, but he is only just turned 19.

"Why do you look so old Ray? I don't like that you look older than me." He laughs softly.

"It's not as if you look your age. Some still think you are my age yet you're turning 34 here in a couple months Kaydence." He says, nudging me lightly with his arm.

As we reach the dock more and more people begin to flock out to the front of the ship. "Remember, we are no longer Kaydence and Lawrence Kinsley, we are Roselyn and Garret Lewis."

That statement sounds so finally, as if it's the final step in abandoning our past lives. Tears threaten once again. The wind picks up just as my grip loosens on my wrap. It flutters away from me. I let out a gasp, running after it. I chase it through the people surrounding me. I try in vain not to loose sight of it. My chest tightens at the thought of losing one of the only things I have left of our home.

"Is this your's signorina?" Italian? A deep voice startles me and I spin around to face the person. He's an older tan man, with dark slightly graying hair and he's holding my wrap in his hands. Odd, his clothes look so familiar...

"Yes it is! Thank you very much! I thought I'd lost it for good." I thank him, curtsying before taking my wrap from him.

"You must be careful running around like you were signorina , you could get hurt." The man says, a smirk rising to his face. He has a scar on his upper lip, I note.

I laugh, brushing my hair out of my face, "Ah yes, my father always said I'm a bit, how do you say it... Oh yes! Spericolato." His eyes widen and smiles at me. Someone is shouting something about a rose off somewhere near by.

"You speak italiano? An English woman of many-" "Roselyn!" Lawrence shouts and grabs my arm. As he stares at me, I slowly begin to realize he's been shouting for me for awhile. It's going to take a bit to get used to this new name.

He pulls my arm lightly and tugs me towards the board to get off the boat. I turn around to say a goodbye to the man, but he's already gone. Strange, he moved quick. "Lawe- Garret I didn't say goodbye to that man, I didn't even catch his name! Do you know how rude that is?"

He stays silent, but rolls his eyes at me. He follows behind me as I walk down the board.

We're actually here.

Constantinople.

----

So if you haven't figured it out, this is an Assassin's Creed fanfiction that takes place during Revelations. I really hope you guys like it, vote and comment!