Chapter Four

Elizabeth lives with her fiancée, Sam. They were high school sweethearts and they have been engaged for a few months now. When she asked me to be her maid of honor, I turned her down because I really don't have time to help her plan everything but she said I didn't have to, all I had to do was show up at the wedding. Of course, I felt bad but I accepted because I'm not about to miss my best friend's wedding.

"So have you picked a date?" I ask her as I take a sip of my coffee and flip through the book of wedding gowns.

"Yes." She says, smiling. "October 15th."

I raise an eyebrow at her. "And you still haven't picked out the dress?"

"Oh shut up! It's not that easy." She places another book on the table. "Especially when Hannah Collins just released her first gown collection."

"Who is Hannah Collins?"

She rolls her eyes at me. "You really need to make more time to come out in the real world. Hannah Collins designs wedding gowns. The Collins are only the most famous family, they're like Kardashians minus the sex tapes and reality TV show and actually talented."

"Well, these are pretty." I say as I look through the book.

"So have you made a decision?" Elizabeth asks after a moment of silence.

It's been a week since my little meeting with Colton and I'll admit that it hasn't left my mind and, with dad also on my back, all of this situation is going to drive me crazy. "Yes." I say. "I'm not doing it." I look at her. "You were right. I don't think I can do it."

She places her hand on top of mine. "We'll find another way to help your dad."

I just nod because I know that I won't. The only other solution I find to this is dropping out of school and I really don't want to do that.

The front door suddenly opens and Sam walks in. "Hey, Emily." He smiles at me.

I nod. "Hey. Wait. What time is it?"

"One-thirty, I think." Sam says as he leans in to kiss Elizabeth's forehead.

I stand up. "I have to go. I work at four and still have to do some homework."

"I'll take you." Elizabeth says standing up.

I shake my head. "No, thank you but I think I need the walk."

She nods then hugs me. "Okay. I'll see you tomorrow at school."

I say bye to Sam then make my way out. It is cloudy outside perfect day for a walk. I walk a few blocks before getting in the bus. Before my dad got sick, I actually enjoyed living in New York. It really is a beautiful place. Now, as I look out the window of the bus, all I can think about is how much my dad needs me and I'm here in this beautiful city. It just feels like it's not fair for me to enjoy it.

When I get to my apartment, there is someone outside waiting. I am a little breathless from the stupid stairs. We only live in the second floor but I literally always get tired from any stairs, says a lot about me being in shape. I try to control my breathing as I walk closer, cautiously. Derek has lost his keys before so I thought it might be him. I stop when I see him. He is leaning against the wall, with both of his hands in his pockets. His shiny, silver watch shinning in the dark. He is looking down, making his bangs fall on his forehead. It looks like he's shooting a photo shoot for the cover of a magazine rather than waiting for me.

"Colton?" I ask, after gathering the courage to keep on walking.

He looks up and smirks at me. "Valdez, about time you got here."