↳ CHAPTER ONE

THE GRIM DUNGEON way down below in the glamorous castle of Asgard was devoid of sounds and action, the silent almost unbearable in its victory, but if nothing else, it gave Nova Amodei the chance to read some of the old, frailed books sh...

          THE GRIM DUNGEON way down below in the glamorous castle of Asgard was devoid of sounds and action, the silent almost unbearable in its victory, but if nothing else, it gave Nova Amodei the chance to read some of the old, frailed books she had managed to earn from one of the guards — no doubt, he had an eye for the prisoner, and whilst she couldn't genuinely care any less, she had still flashed her wildest smirk when speaking to the guard, in the justified hopes of it being her worth her while eventually. Besides, flirting with the men on Odin's payroll was the most fun she could squeeze out of her new life of a wild animal reduced to a tamed pet, and rather that than basking in the self-loathing caused by the fact that this was most likely the only way she'd ever be in the castle.

          Should anyone ask about her current situation, she would have simply described it as utter boredom, but despite being sick of sitting in her cell hardly 24 hours later, she was keeping her cool and radiating outer peace no matter what stormed within — the lack of hope, the loss of possibilities now that she was locked up with the future hardly shining any light on ever escaping. Instead of weeping bitter tears and letting her walls crumble, she kept stacking bricks one by one until the full armor surrounding her cold heart would be complete; a mission she had taken on since childhood. She was scarily calm, her time spent by reading through the books, slender fingertips softly turning the pages, no words coming out of her mouth and her eyes tightly stuck on the words scribbled across the fragile paper.

          The deafening silence was torn apart when the big, heavy doors at the top of the stairs opened with creaking and huffing, followed by the familiar clink of chains as another prisoner was being led down to the cells. The amused, low laughter that echoed throughout the carved walls sent chills down Nova's spine, her eyes lighting up as she let her curiosity get the best of her. Quietly, she shut the book before climbing up and taking slow steps to the golden window to see who was being dragged to her company. Sure, there were a few prisoners other than her, though she suspected their crimes barely reached her level, but for the most part, the life she had chosen was one of the lonely sorts.

         The sight of five guards surprised Nova, her dark eyes gleaming with interest as she crossed her arms over her chest and watched the group circle a nimble but looming figure. Truthfully, she was almost a little insulted — her presence had required only two guards — but she couldn't help but let out a breath of understanding when her stare locked with a wicked one, swimming with shades of blue and green as the maliciously smiling man was walked past her cell and towards the one beside hers.

         Well, she certainly hadn't expected to see Loki Laufeyson, the infamous God of Mischief, not so much a brother of Thor but an integral part of the Odinson family, nonetheless, yet there he stood, guilt barely weighing on his proud shoulders as the guards removed his chains.

         Attentively, Nova trailed from one of the windows to the other, keeping her gaze fixated on the dark-haired man who was guided indoors without a word. She had heard tales of him, the rumors, and once, she had even made it close enough to the castle to catch sight of him and his brother. It had been easy to tell which one of them had been granted the privilege of the throne and which one desired it nonetheless, and she supposed that they had that in common.