=Chapter Two=

Magsimula sa umpisa

“I think Carter’s right, Dad.”

Dad stopped on his tracks. Carter’s head shot up, as if stunned. Everyone’s gaze turned on me, wide and shocked.

“W-- … Well …” I started. “In truth, I don’t want you to be aggravated. And,” I straightened, “I want this place. I love it.”

“You don’t know what you’re talking about,”

“I do know,” I shot out, “This place is my home. I don’t want to see you struggling, trying to find someplace to live. I could imagine everything what would happen if we surrender. You would find a desperate job just for us. Carter and Levi would stop going to school. Everyone would get sick and die.” I told them. “Levi’s and Carter’s future are too precious to be wasted, so I’ll sacrifice mine.”

I was shaking after that. I don’t know if that sunk in or not. It was maybe my first moment to speak up, and I thought it was the lamest thing to do. Everyone was looking at me like I’m a one year-old toddler, as if I just spoke my first words, even Carter.

“I may have many plans in life, but that doesn’t matter. I don’t want to be one of your great burdens, but I can do this,” I continued, “I will be okay. I can be tough. I will be.”

My moistly hand took a pen from my pocket. I started signing on my name which was indicated on the agreement.

“Do you really want this?” Mom was sobbing. “Are you sure?”

Time to know what I can prove, I wanted to tell Mom. But I kept my mouth shut. Prove to you that I can do something in this family.

“Yes at last!” someone said, and busted inside.

“Atty. Frazier,” Aunt Mandy said.

The stranger was wearing an odd lime green suit. His deep gray eyes scanned the room. He walked toward Carter and shook his hand vigorously. His thin body quaked on the force.

“Thank you sir,” he beamed, “you settled this thing out mainly. Gracias, seniorito.”

Then he turned to me. “So, it will be you, right? Thank goodness, she’s still young. And well bred, Old Ritzy.”

“You shouldn’t be here,” Uncle Mev scorned.

“Why not?” said Atty. Frazier, “Your niece let me in,”

Levi’s head bobbed from the door. “Sorry,” I heard a pack of chips crumple beside her.

“Oh, Levi,” I heard Granny sigh.

“I just gave her one,” the lawyer said, “Oh, never fret, dear,” he was facing me, “You won’t be engaged by any old guy who just needed you for lust, like those historical romances you’ve read. The lad is--”

“Younger than me?” I muttered, and I wanted to tell him that I never read historical novels.

“Na-ah, young miss,” he wagged a finger on my nose, “Actually, he must be in the 10th grade this next school year,” he patted me on my shoulder. “He’s a young Bloodson,”

Indeed. Somehow, I find it relieving.

“Frazier, please,” Dad said, “You really shouldn’t be here. It’s family business, and--”

“You will be meeting him next week.” Atty. Frazier pressed on, ignoring Dad. “together with Lovemists and Lyrics.”

“The hell are they?” Aunt Mandy said.

“Young affianced couples,” he winked, “Friends of Sir Bloodson,”

“What with them?”

“That’s for you to know,” he said, finally heading to the door with a weird jig. “I’m leaving. Oh, and I forgot something to give,”

The lawyer handed me a very small cube, about the size of my palm. He took my hand and put it.

“Your betrothal ring,” he told me, then danced out.

We were silent, again. When we heard the engine start, almost everyone shuffled in their seat. Gramps took a pen and started scribbling on the paper I had signed. He was shaking his head.

I continued to play on the box, tossing and spinning it. I won’t open it. Not yet. My mind was in a daze. Everything happened so fast. Mom and Grandma continued to cry. Aunt Mandy covered her face, but she wasn’t crying. Dad’s shoulders drooped. Carter’s face was hidden from his hair; his head hung, and then ran upstairs. Gramps stood and went toward the backyard. I know he was going to smoke.

It was not what I’ve visualized. I’ve thought of what my engagement would have been: me and my perfect fiancé, alone. On bended knee he would show me a ring and asks if I would marry him. And then the next moment, hand in hand, we would face my family and tell them about it, and everyone would celebrate. Unfortunately, it didn’t come true. That dream was only built in air, then blown away with a fog of reality. I’m too young, and everyone think like I was going to die.

___