Josh nodded. "I'm one of the two hataalii of Naabi'aani. Sani is the oldest medicine man of the village, and I am the youngest."

Hannah gaped at him. Emily had mentioned Josh being close to Sani, but she'd left out that he was a medicine man himself. "Where on earth do you get the time to become so good at everything you do?"

He looked back at her. "Well, time..." he started out, his voice trailing off. "Let's just say I'm a quick study."

A woman walking around with bowls of corn porridge on a tray tapped his shoulder. Josh declined, but nudged Hannah. "Sha'di? You want another bowl?"

Hannah gulped down a sudden lump, looking at Josh tongue-tied. Okay, that was clear. Crystal. Not shilah to address her as a female friend. He'd just called her sha'di, like before. His big sister. So nothing had changed after all. She swallowed back sudden tears.

Still in a daze, Hannah turned around when she heard Josh's mother call out to them from a distance. She was walking toward them, addressing her son. "Shiyáázh?"

Josh turned around and smiled up at her. "Hey, shimá. Is it time already?"

"Yes, they expect you in the tent."

"Good luck," Hannah mumbled as he got up and disappeared in the crowd to prepare for his ceremony. It was actually a relief he was gone. That way, she was able to catch her breath and try to convince herself it was no big deal that he didn't like her like that.

Nick sat down next to her. "Man, I love this place! The people here are so different than what I'm used to. They're so friendly and unassuming." He put away his notebook and pulled a camera from his bag. "I'm planning on filming Josh's performance. You think he'll mind?"

"No, he won't," she replied flatly.

Absently, Hannah looked around, suddenly spotting a tall, lanky Navajo guy waving at her. He started walking toward the group of visitors from St. Mary's Port. Confused, she poked Emily.

"You know who that is?" she hissed.

Emily looked up and followed her gaze. "That's Yazzie! Don't you recognize him?"

Hannah batted her eyelids in astonishment. Yazzie had always been a short and chubby guy before. Apparently, he'd finally had a growth spurt – she wouldn't have recognized Josh's cousin, who would take them to Rainbow Bridge on his boat tomorrow, if Emily hadn't clued her in. She scrambled to her feet. "Hey, Yaz!" she waved.

When Yazzie stood face to face with Hannah, he was at least four inches taller than her. "Hi, biligaana!" He embraced her in a warm hug. "You ready for the show?" He was wearing skinny dark-green jeans and a black t-shirt saying 'Rez Litter'.

Hannah couldn't help giggling. Yazzie had always addressed her and Ben that way – biligaana meant 'paleface' in his own language.

Yazzie tilted his head to the field surrounded by a large crowd of spectators. "I saved some standing-room for you guys. Follow me!"

He elbowed his way through the multitude, everybody following him in single file. Just before they reached the fence bordering the rodeo ground, they hit an open spot, like Yazzie had promised them. Hannah looked aside and unexpectedly saw Josh's father standing there. She'd have thought he was with his son in the tent, helping him prepare. Or maybe not. That was probably Sani's job.

"Ya'at'eeh. Hello everybody," he said, shaking hands with all of them. He kissed Hannah on the cheek. "It's been a while. Good to see you again." He smiled widely, and the crow's feet around his eyes suddenly reminded her of Josh's older face in her dream.