Chapter 1- New Years Eve [Jane]

...

         The day slowly grew into night as Jane Smith finished up work at the office. Her brown eyes had dark bags underneath them, the tiredness soon started weighing down on her.

She hurriedly scribbled her name on the bottom of the 100 page file and closed the vanilla folder. Jane slapped her hand on top of the folder, a light chuckle forming in her throat. "Finally."

Jane stood up, stretching her legs out as she walked towards the large windows to her office. She looked out into the New York street, drunk men and women dancing around cars as the time neared New Years Day. She looked at the time on her Rolex watch, it was 11:07 P.M. and she had nowhere to go.

Jane sighed to herself, walking over to the bathroom that was connected to her large office. She leaned against sink, looking herself in the mirror. Her brown eyes looked abnormally tired and her big, pink lips were dry from the lack of hydration. Her eyes drifted down to her black dress, the cleavage was just enough to show her curves but not too much to reveal.

She ran her hand through her brown hair, as she walked out of the bathroom, grabbing a cup of bourbon and walked back to her desk. Jane plopped back down in her chair, bringing the crystal glass up to her pink lips. The liquor running down her dry throat and giving her the kick of the ripe alcohol.

Jane leaned into her chair, closing her eyes and slowly drifting to sleep.

That is, until her office phone rang. Jane jumped slightly and picked up the corded phone. "Jane Smith."

"Miss. Smith, I'm sorry to bother you at this time." Her assistant Thomas, said shyly over the phone.

"Thomas, it's fine. Just tell me what's going on please." Jane said tiredly.

"King Industries won't stop calling. They just came barging in, I couldn't stop them. The CEO and his chairsmen are in the lobby, they are waiting for you. For the love of God, meet them. Please." He begged over the phone.

Jane couldn't help but steam at the lack of respect these men had for her. Coming in here late at night, thinking that she would hand this company over like that. She nodded. "I'll be right down."

Jane hung up the phone and sat there for a few seconds until she got the energy to stand up again. She walked towards the door, grabbing her file on King Industries, she had done tremendous research on both the company and its owner, Don King.

Don King was a billionaire and a playboy when it came to the newspapers but in Janes opinion, he was a greedy bastard who just cared about numbers. She got into the elevator of her office and went down to the 2nd floor.

Once the doors opened, she walked down the long hallway to the conference room where it will be held. Jane opened the door to find it empty, which she enjoyed being the first one there.

She made her way around the large, oval table and sat down in the middle. Jane didn't fix her appearance because this was business, it wasn't her trying to buy out another company, it was war.

The door opened, only to find her assistant Thomas, with his black hair wild and green eyes exhausted. "Shall I let them in now, Miss. Jane?"

Jane nodded. "Yes. And Thomas, go home. I apologize for keeping you here so late on New Year's Eve. Go, enjoy that bonus." She mustered up a tired smile.

Thomas smiled brightly. "Thank you." He said excitedly and practically ran down to the men.

Jane sat there, waiting for the business men that may or may not ruin her life.