“I still need some time and space to think things through...” Nick sniffed but nodded, letting his head fall.

“Where are you going to go?”

“An old friend of mine lives in the city. I’ll probably live with her for a while…”

He let out a loud breath and reached into his pocket, pulling out his wallet. I held his hand back from reaching into it.

“No.”

He looked up at me with red rimmed eyes. “Please just put my mind at ease and take the card. I want to believe that I’m still helping you even if you’re not here with me. It’ll make me feel better.”

I took the outstretched card and put it in my pocket. If he wanted me to help him make it easier, I’ll do anything. Even I couldn’t deny the ache I felt in my chest knowing that I’m leaving him. For good. I wasn’t planning on coming back. He deserves better than me. It’s better this way.

He fell back to sit on the floor as his knees gave out, his head in his hands. I stood up and walked towards the door. Nick gently grabbed my wrist and pulled me into a hug, wrapping his arms around my waist. I hugged him back, my tears soaking his shirt. He leaned down and kissed my forehead, tears landing on my hair. I leaned up and cupped his cheeks giving him a kiss.

I went to pull away but he pulled me closer and slipped his tongue in my mouth making it deeper. I moved my hands into his hair, pulling softly on it and kissed him back just as strong.

I didn’t want to leave him, but I had to. He was right. Everything he had said during our argument was right. And I couldn’t deny that I felt unworthy of an amazing mate. He’d move on.

I broke away and left the room. As I opened the front door, the last thing I heard was “I love you, baby.”

***

I Changed and ran through the forests with my clothes dangling in my mouth. I needed a run and I wasn’t going to risk Changing in front of Peyton.

I wasn’t sure if she still lived here and I wasn’t sure if she would invite me in or if she had husband or children. All I knew was that she was my best friend, and I only hoped she would accept me.

I reached the end of the forest and went into a thick bush and Changed back. The pain was bearable, however, I wished I wasn’t a werewolf. If I wasn’t a werewolf, I wouldn’t have met Noah and I wouldn’t have had to deal with the hole in my chest right now.

As I approached her house, I finally shut out all thoughts of Nick and the Pack. It was better that way.

I knocked on the door and heard a muffled voice from the inside say “one minute!” Yep, Peyton lives here still.

The door flew open and revealed Peyton. She still looked gorgeous. She stared at me and slowly recognition dawned on her porcelain face. She blinked as her mouth popped open.

“Delilah?”

I nodded and she flung her arms around me and squeezed me tightly. We didn’t let go until we heard a throat being cleared. Peyton broke apart from me and wrapped her arm around the man behind her. I smiled. This must be her boyfriend.

“Peyton, who’s this?” The man smiled and kissed her temple.

“Mason, this is my old friend, Delilah. Delilah, this is my boyfriend, Mason.”

Mason stuck his hand out and shook mine. “Nice to meet you.”

“You too,” I smiled back.

“Please, come inside!” Peyton and Mason moved back to let me in and walked towards their living room. I sat down on the couch and they sat across from me on the love seat.