Chapter 5 ~ The Hunters

Depuis le début

“I’m glad you have arrived,” the King said. “The sooner you can rid of the white wolves the better.” The hunters raised their heads and nodded. “I will pay whatever fee you have, and you may stay in the castle if you choose. The servants are at your disposal as are my guards and knights. Let me know if you need anything else.”

“My King, it is an honour to be able to lend you our services and we would be foolish to decline your hospitality,” the male adult with the dark brown hair replied smoothly. I’m Joseph and this is my lovely wife, Alice,” he said gesturing to the blonde woman beside him. “The man beside her is her brother, Walter.” The man named Walter bowed again. “And these are my children,” he said turning his head to the three hunters behind him. “My eldest daughter, Rose, my son, Gavin and my youngest, Rowan,” Joseph introduced. “All of them are excellent hunters and I’m confident we can find these white wolves and kill them.”

“Great, I’m glad to hear it,” the King said. “When will you start?”

“Soon, but we must settle in first, we are weary from our journey,” Joseph replied.

“Of course, I’ll have some servants show you to your rooms,” the King said. “After you have settled in I would like you and your family to join mine for a feast. The kitchens had been cooking for your arrival.”

“We would be honoured to,” Joseph answered. The King nodded his head and then the crowd gathered in the throne room was dismissed all except for the servants. The King’s servant began selecting servants to take the hunters to their rooms. He seemed to be picking the servants for the royal family,” Arabella noticed and her thoughts were confirmed when she was picked to take Rowan to his chambers.

“They are to be taken to the hallway were important guests stay, and should they need anything you are assigned to take care of it,” the King’s servant told the selected servants. Great, Arabella thought, another person she needed to be a servant to, as if Eleanor wasn’t enough. Then he proceeded to tell each servant which room they were taking their hunter to. Finally he came to Arabella. “You will take the youngest hunter to the room with the many stained glass windows.” Arabella nodded, she knew the room he was speaking of.

She walked away from the King’s servant and towards Rowan who was leaning against a pillar outside the throne room with a brown bag at his feet. He had been warily watching everyone. She paused in front of him and waited until he looked at her.

“Yes?” he asked.

“I’m to take you to your room,” Arabella explained before putting a smile on her face. Hopefully he wouldn’t be able to tell that she didn’t wholeheartedly mean it. “Or I could show you around first,” she offered after he didn’t say anything.

“No I think I’d better go to my room and change first,” he said finally. “Although, perhaps you can show me around later, after I’ve settled in.”

“Of course,” Arabella replied. “I’ve been assigned to you so if you need anything just tell me.” He nodded and then stopped leaning on the pillar. “Shall we go to your room?” He nodded a second time and then Arabella started walking leaving him to follow. She navigated her way though the crowds and hallways heading towards Rowan’s room.

“How do you not get lost?” Rowan asked. She paused and waited for him to catch up and then shrugged. “After a while you get used to it and know where you’re going.”

“But there are so many hallways; I’ll never be able to find my way back to my rooms alone.” Arabella bit back a laugh at how lost he sounded and resumed walking.

“Well there are always people around so just ask them for directions to wherever you want to go.”

“Even to my room?” Rowan asked sounding sceptical.