She gasped as she was startled out of sleep, her wet pajama shirt sticking to her like it was a second skin. The bed sheets and the blanket were soaked in ice water and the window was wide open, sending in the autumn breeze that made her shiver as it blew against her wet skin.

Scarlett looked up to see her older brother, Jason, standing there with his phone, recording the whole event. In his other hand was an empty bucket. Her brows furrowed as she tried to push the wet blanket off of her, ignoring the smug smirk on his face.  

"Good morning Scar," he said mockingly, pointing the camera right on the large wet stain that soaked the bed.  

"Looks like someone wet the bed," he continued, sneering at her quivering form. 

Scarlett glared at him briefly before pushing him out of the room, slamming the door shut behind him. She closed her eyes and leaned against the door. She could already feel the humiliation and embarrassment that was sure to come after he showed his friends the hilarious video he just got. 

What a great way to start off the day.

Glancing at the clock, she cursed and quickly scrambled to get ready. If she wasn't finished in about 2 seconds, she was sure going to hear about how-

"Scarlett! Get your lazy butt down here right now!" Came a shrill voice from down the stairs. She sighed and quickly changed out of her soaked sleepwear. She could feel her mother's heated glare from the staircase as she rushed to the bathroom. It wasn't her fault her brother was an asshole. She could never say that out loud though, lest she wanted to face her mother's wrath. Jason had grown up to look exactly like their father. It was a double edged sword really. It reminded the small family constantly of what they lost, but their mother became even more doting on him. Sometimes it was as if Scarlett wasn't even part of the same family. 

By the time she made it down the stairs, she was greeted with the usual insults that any mother would hurl at their children. 

"Why can't you ever be on time for once in your life? You useless child! You had to trouble your brother to wake you up on time for school? If he's late for the first day of classes, you're going without dinner tonight," her mother yelled.

Scarlett simply looked down at the ground and nodded, the words going in one ear and out the other. After her mother was done reminding her to "take care of her brother," she made a beeline for the kitchen in hopes of grabbing some toast before she had to go to class. What greeted her were the mocking stares of not only her brother, but his idiotic best friend Alex, and Alex's wonderful girlfriend, Jessica. 

"Glad the wake up call worked sis. Next time try not to wet the bed, ya?" Jason laughed. Alex gave him a fist bump, mirth swimming in his eyes. Next to them, Jessica giggled obnoxiously loud. She sounded like a guinea pig. She was a great girl...if great could be used to describe girls who went around bullying anyone who wasn't in her little squad. The more accurate term would be more along the lines of 'bitch.' Scarlett wasn't her only victim, but she was her most abused victim. It didn't help that she was dating Alex Smith, the next alpha of the pack. When at school, she could be seen parading the man around as if she had conquered some foreign land for her country. 

Scarlett mumbled a quick hello to the three and grabbed the toast from the toaster, making sure to avoid the others. After shoving the bread down her mouth, she walked into the living room, not wanting to impose on them. She knew she wasn't wanted in the room. As she left, she heard them talk and laugh with one another, envy swelling up in her chest. She could never have that. She quickly stamped down the feeling. It didn't matter to her. It shouldn't matter to her. 

She grabbed her backpack and hoisted it up on her shoulder, watching as they one by one went through the front door. Jessica paused and turned to look at her, a small smile on her lips. 

"Do you want a ride?"

Scarlett looked at her with surprised eyes, but before she could reply, Jessica let out a loud laugh. 

"You would've thought we would ride with a lowly virgin like you. For goddess's sake, I couldn't be caught dead being around you." And with a flip of her blonde hair, she was out the door. Scarlett stared at the closed door for a couple seconds before sighing. She only had fifteen minutes to make it to school now and her mother would come very close to killing her if she was late for the first day of her classes. She didn't have a choice though. The trio surely would take Alex's car and she didn't know how to drive so her only option was to walk. Better late than never. 

She was only a little ways from her home when a black car pulled up next to her. The windows rolled down and a familiar face appeared. 

"Need a ride, Scarlett?" 

She smiled at the sight of her friend. Her only friend, Ryan Smith.

"Is it that obvious?" She asked, a smile on her face. 

"Hop in loser, we're going to be late for school. I know my older brother can be a jerk and probably left you with no ride," he said with a grin on his handsome face. Scarlett rolled her eyes at his statement and easily slipped into the passenger seat of the car. 

Ryan Smith was the second son of Alpha Henry. He was the brother of the soon to be alpha, Alex. It still slightly surprised Scarlett how the two brothers could have such drastically different personalities. Ryan was warm and friendly, everyone loved him because he was a lovable goofball. Alex on the other hand was a work of art. And not in a good way. People flattered him and flocked to him because he had power. And he knew that. Not only was he spoiled, he was also arrogant and conceited. Scarlett wondered briefly before if he was found in a trash can and adopted, but she knew better than to voice her thoughts out loud. 

"Excited for your first day?" 

Scarlett laughed, watching the scenery pass by the window. 

"Please, you make it sound like I'm some freshman. Besides, the day already started off like shit with Jason tossing ice water over my head," she said dryly. 

"Are you serious?"

"I wish I was joking. Don't be too surprised when you see the video later." 

Ryan was quiet for a couple of seconds before saying lowly, "Seriously Scarlett, you need to stand up for yourself. You can't keep getting abused like this." 

She was surprised by the sudden seriousness of his tone, but she smiled fondly, thankful that she at least had someone who was thinking of her well being.

"Don't worry so much. I'll be 18 in two days! It'll get better from there," she said, not sure if she was trying to convince him or herself. 

Ryan shot her a skeptical look but didn't pursue the situation any further, for which she was grateful.