The Castle's Wall

Start from the beginning

I wonder what the future holds for me in Altaria!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stood inside Villa Altaria but I hardly felt as if my feet were actually standing on the ground. After introducing myself to the guards at the entrance, I had been allowed into the royal villa. I had been waiting for ages, but there was no sign of anyone coming over to meet me or tell me where to go.

The guards told me to wait here, but...

The villa was filled with people, all busily rushing around to get things done and not a one of them noticing me.

Are royal palaces always like this?

I looked around curiously and my eyes caught one woman in particular.

"Are you Miss [Y/N]? The new designer?" She rushed toward me as she spoke and I stepped back without thinking.

"Y-Yes."

The woman, who I assumed was a servant, paused for only the briefest moment in front of me, before she set off again with her long, powerful strides. It was all I could do to keep up with her.

"We're actually holding a party tonight, so everyone is a bit swamped trying to get ready for it."

"I'm sorry to take up your time during such a busy..."

"Turn there and then a left and a right. Your room will be the second door. Sorry I can't take you myself, but you should find it easily enough. Don't worry." She gave me a thumbs up and winked.

"Hold on, you said right, left? Or was it..." My fingers twisted from side to side as I tried to work out the path in my head, but the woman was long gone.

Shoot. Well, I guess I'll just have to try to figure it out for myself.

There were elaborate chandeliers hanging from the high, arched ceilings. The hall stretched on so far that it made me feel a little faint just looking ahead as I started walking with my luggage in tow.

Okay, so... right, right, left...

I headed through the halls just as I had been directed to. Or so I thought. I arrived at what seemed to be the second door in the appropriate hall, but there was nothing that looked like a guest room to me. I tried to backtrack, but I soon lost track of my turns and had no idea how to get back to the foyer.

I'm completely lost now, what do I do?

I was peering around nervously, a cold sweat trickling down my back, when a voice called out from behind me.

"Oh? You're here already!" I turned around and saw Prince Roberto walking toward me with a smile.

P-Prince Roberto...!

"Sorry I couldn't go to welcome you myself." His eyes were warm and kind as he spoke.

"N-No, I wouldn't dream of having you come yourself, Your Highness. But thank you so much for giving me this opportunity. I look forward to working here at Villa Altaria." I curtsied deeply.

"You don't have to act that formal! We're too close for that kind of stiff talk, dear [Y/N]."

Umm, we are? How close does he think we are?

I smiled vaguely, trying to play off the strange comment.

"Anyway, just relax." he continues. "This will be your home, too, from now on. You'll just wear yourself out walking on eggshells all the time!"