Chapter One

"Geez Two-Bit, slow down!" Ponyboy gripped the seat as the truck rattled up the hill.

"What? Sorry, did you say something? Am I drivin' too fast for ya? Sorry, princess," Two-Bit rolled his eyes at Pony's comment.

Pony glanced at me with a worried look. He relaxed when I flashed a smile.

Yep. Ponyboy was my boyfriend. But I wasn't so sure why he liked me. I was, well, average! My name is Jessica Nicole Lewis, but everyone calls me Jess. I think it makes me sound tuff. I'm a greaser. I live with my mom because my parents got a divorce. I have long brown hair and normal brown eyes. My teeth are perfectly straight, and I have a few freckles. My body size is pretty normal, except for the fact I'm pretty short. I'm barely 5 feet tall. Pony would have to squat a little if he wanted to kiss me!

Ponyboy and I were at Jay Mountain. Two-Bit, our friend, drove us. Pony always talked about how pretty the sunset was. He insisted it be our first date. I wasn't sure at first, because I knew it brought back memories of Johnny and Dally, but I finally decided that this had to mean something to Pony.

Johnny Cade had been the sweetest of the gang. He was hiding so mug pain. His father was abusive and his mother was a drunk. 16 years just wasn't long enough. I didn't know him too well, because I started dating Pony after he and Dally died. Dallas Winston was the bad boy. He was arrested and fined a lot. He loved beating up Socs. After Johnny died, Dally hit his breaking point. He robbed a store and went on the run. Pony and the rest of the gang witnessed his death. The police shot him down. Dally had always cracked dirty jokes and hit on all the girls. I knew him. I missed him a lot.

"Alright, I'll be back up 'ere to pick y'all up after da sun sets. Don't get too romantic, ya hear?" Two-Bit grinned.

"Yeah yeah I know. C'mon Jess, lets go," Pony said as he grabbed the picnic basket and blanket out of the back of the old Ford pickup.

Two-Bit backed up and headed down the road. Pony sighed as he looked at the ruins of the church. Johnny had been trapped inside the burning church. The hospital just couldn't help him. He just, died. I didn't know if this was the best idea for a date.

Pony spread out the blanket. He sat down and I followed. He took out the sandwiches and glanced at the setting sun. The sun was a mix of orange, red, yellow, gold, and pink.

"This is beautiful!" I exclaimed.

"Not as beautiful as you," Pony winked.