Chapter Thirteen

Cato's POV

I wake up the next morning, staying still and silent. Peeta's sleeping on the other side of the extinguished fire, his spear lying next to him. Marvel rests a few feet away from him. From the tree, Clove's on the opposite side of the fire, firmly holding a knife in her hand and using her red jacket as a makeshift pillow. I snap my eyes closed when something stirs Glimmer awake. She quietly calms herself down and lays her head back down on my outstretched arm, falling back to sleep. The last person I look at is Katniss, still asleep, even higher up in the tree than we left her yesterday. I close my eyes and fall back to sleep.

Clove's POV

I'm torn awake the next morning by a crashing, loud buzzing, and a scream from Glimmer. A huge nest of tracker jackers lands right where our fire died out. Buzzing and swarming around us, angry that their home was destroyed, the tracker jackers attack. Glimmer screams, and we all stand up as fast as we can, swatting them off of us and running to the lake.

We get to the lake in a minute or so, sprinting. Some of the tracker jackers chased us, though most stayed back. We jumped into the cold lake to escape the few straggling wasps, not surfacing until we run out of every bit of air in our lungs.

After we're sure the wasps are gone, we crawl onto the sand.

"Glimmer and Peeta are gone," I say.

Cato's POV

I look around and search the water. I don't find anyone.

"I thought Peeta came back with us. Glimmer I don't know." Marvel said.

"What do we do?" Clove asks. Both of them look to me. Everything happened so fast, I can't think.

I think about it. If we go, there may be more tracker jackers waiting for us, but we also might find Glimmer and Peeta and anything we didn't pick up in the few seconds we had to run away.

"We'll go, quickly, just to take a look around for them and pick up anything we left. If we find any tracker jackers, we leave." I say.

We jog back, until we hear someone yelling, "Run! Run! Run! Katniss, go! Get out of here, go! What are you doing? Go!" Peeta screams at her.

We're still about a hundred feet away when we finally see a drunk-looking Katniss stumbling away carrying something shiny.

Marvel tackles Peeta. His face is blank, but he knows we're going to kill him. I pick up the sword that I left when we ran away and lift it towards. For some reason I then watch myself pull it down to his upper left leg and slash it. He cries in pain and falls.

"You're not getting a quick death. You're going to die slowly and painfully. And if we ever see you again, we'll kill you!" I yell at him. "Now leave."

He struggles away towards the steam where we found Katniss. We watch him until he disappears into the trees.

Marvel speaks first, "Hey, guys..." He motions us to look at what lies about ten feet behind us: the stiff, lifeless body of Glimmer. Several swollen bumps cover her face and hands, her skin has a slight green tint to it, and some of her fingers on one hand were broken. The cannon must have gone off while we were underwater.

Clove gasps. My eyes widen with the realization that the perky, beautiful blonde girl sleeping ten minutes ago has been reduced to a bumped, green corpse.

We all turn and try to avoid the gruesome body while we search for anything we left behind. We find a few of Clove's knives and Peeta's old spear.

"Is that all the weapons we brought?" Marvel asks. It is a pretty small number. I run through the list in my head: two spears, my sword, five knives of Clove's, and...Glimmer's bow.