CHAPTER 1

"Anthony that's ridiculous! No one could ever fit a treadmill up there!" exclaimed my best friend Drake Casper.

"Whatever Drake, if we really tried then the treadmill would definitely fit in Mr. Perkin's chimney." I retorted. We usually got our brilliant ideas down here at the old boardwalk. When things were at their worst at home I would call Drake and we'd go to Mr. Keller's store, which was where we're headed now. Our feet thudded across the splinter-riddled wood as we turned left into 'Seaside', Mr. Keller's store.

"Hey boys how are you?" asked Mr. Keller from across the store. I took a deep breath of the overly clean store's air and got ready to reply.

"We're great," said Drake, "especially great today though because Anthony is going to buy me some Marshmellowers, a Milky Way, and a bag of Sour Patch kids!" I rolled my eyes and headed down the aisle. I ran my fingers along the candy, searching for what Drake had selected. I glanced back and saw Drake chatting with Mr. Keller. I grabbed the candy and ran over.

"Miss me?" I asked sarcastically. Drake mock punched me and we gave the candy to Mr. Keller he started ringing us up. And then it happened.

"Everyone drop to the floor now! Gimme all your money, I have a gun!" shouted a man in black. And indeed he did have a gun. Mr. Keller and most of the shoppers slammed their bodies on the floor. Drake and I exchanged a panicked look and tried to hide behind the main desk while the gunman was busy. I heard a click and then a loud boom and a sickening thud. Unmistakably the sound of a body hitting the floor at a rapid speed. Almost there, I thought.

The gunmen whipped around and set up the revolver, aiming right at me. I froze.

"Anthony, move!" shouted Drake pushing me out of the way. I fell to the floor and saw the bullet go strait through Drake's chest. The gunman grabbed the cash register and ran out of the store. And I finally unfroze. I scrambled up onto my hands and knees and grabbed Drake's body. I could hear Mr. Keller calling 911. I dug through my pocket and grabbed my phone, I quickly scrolled through my contacts and found the right one.

"Mrs. Casper? Yes, it's Anthony. Look there's an emergency- Drake has been shot! Yes, we're over at Mr. Keller's shop. No, no I'm not hurt. Please Mrs. Casper, hurry!"

Author's Note:

Hi guys! I hope you enjoyed the intro to Broken Me. I've been wanting to upload this story for forever. I literally started writing this last year. I'll make this brief, vote, follow, comment! Bye!