Chapter Two

Step two of the program was to fill out, yet another application. This one is way more specific than the first one. This second one wants to know everything from how many hairs there are on my head to when was the last time I had sex and when was the last time I was on period. Most of the questions about sex I had no trouble answering since I've never even had sex, I just put NA.

I couldn't care less about the fact that I was a twenty-four year old virgin. I really didn't care. I never planned to wait until marriage, it just never happened. No guy I've dated has made me want to do it and now that I've waited this long, I definitely want to wait for someone special even if it sounds pathetic.

I filled it out in three sittings, in between my classes. I should have been doing homework during that time but I couldn't get it out of my head. After I sent it, I got an email saying that they received it and that I would get a response in about two weeks.

As if reading my mind, my mom calls me that night. "Hey, mom, how's dad?" I answer, while trying to do some homework. "Mom?" I repeat when I realize she's crying on the other side of the line. I stand up then look around, realizing there's no where I can go. They are thousands of miles away. "Mom, answer me please." I beg.

My heart is beating fast and I feel like I'm going to throw up.

"Emily?" my little sister, Diana suddenly says.

"Diana, what's going on?"

"Dad had another heart attack." She says through the phone. "The doctors say he's going to need a valve transplant."

"Oh my god." I gasp, terrified. "Is he okay? Right now? Is he stable?"

"Yes, mom was really scared. She couldn't stop crying."

"Tell mom not to worry. I'm going to send you guys money soon. Just tell the doctors to do whatever it takes to save dad."

"Okay." She says quietly. "Are you coming home?"

"I can't." I say, sadly and trying not to cry. "I'll be done with school in a few more months but Diana-tell mom to not worry about money. I'm going to help her. Take care of her-of dad, please."

After we hang up, I can't stay still. This whole situation is making me go crazy. For the next week or so, I busy myself with school and work. I work in an ice cream shop and work five days a week so I rarely get any sleep because it's either sleep or good grades.

This was usually the routine I follow: school, work, homework. I've never really been one of those girls to party and do crazy things every weekend. To be honest, I don't even know how they have time to party, I feel like I need more hours in the week.

It is around noon on a Thursday when I receive the call. I was just walking out of my class and was starving.

"Hello?"

"Is this Emily Valdez?" a woman on the other end asked.

"Uh, yeah, this is she." I say, frowning.

"Hello, my name is Olivia and I am from the Growing Generations Program."

"Oh!" my hand goes to my chest and I suddenly feel out of breath. "Right. Hi."

"I am calling because there has been a match for you."

I gulp. "What? B-but I thought you didn't match me with someone until after screening." Whatever screening is. That's what the website said.

"Yes, you are correct but there is someone in specific who has shown an interest in you. They would like to meet with you as soon as possible."