The Christmas Store

Start from the beginning

The worker narrowed her eyes, a smile never leaving her face, "Now, why would I do that?"

"Well, because I can simply repay you by taking you out to dinner," yea, Lauren, look at you being smooth, she thought to herself.

"Is that your way of asking me out?" The girl said, in a voice that seemed to not be impressed.

Lauren was about to take what she said back, mentally slapping herself for thinking that she could be smooth, that maybe her game wasn't all that rusty, she knew she had to try though; even if she was getting a 'totally not gay/wouldn't ever be into you' vibe from the girl, she still would have felt the need to try because that's how drawn she was to her, which by the way, she totally wasn't getting that vibe. She actually thought she had a chance, maybe it was just wishful thinking. She was interrupted from what she was going to say by her brother cutting in, "Lala, why are you talking to the elf?"

The worker laughed along with Lauren, "Uhm, she's not-"

"I'm not exactly an elf, you see, I'm just Santa's helper. I can't make toys, it's too difficult, I need to be trained to do that, so I just help Santa with everything else he needs," she convincingly explained to the kid as he slowly nodded, unsurely.

"I don't know if I believe you," he replied honestly.

The worker gasped as if offended, Lauren quickly stepped in, wanting to continue her conversation with the girl, "Trev, how bout you go play with those kids by that train set? Let me just talk to uhm-" she paused realizing she didn't even know the girl's name.

"Camila," the worker said with a smile.

"Camila," Lauren repeated, "Let me just talk with Camila for a sec then we'll go, alright?" The kid nodded as he eagerly went to play with the train set, Lauren turned back to Camila as she tried to think of what to say, "So," maybe she should have just made a run for it with Trevor when she had the chance, "Uhm, I'm Lauren, by the way."

Camila giggled as she did a 'phew' sigh of relief causing Lauren to give her quizzical look, "Oh, I'm just relieved your name isn't Lala. I mean, that's a cool, interesting name and all but it doesn't really suit you."

"Noo, that's the ridiculous nickname that my brother gave me, he was only one and couldn't say my full name and has been calling me that ever since," Lauren realized she was probably talking too much, "I guess, I just, uhm, I'll let you get back to work now."

Camila laughed, "I thought you just asked me out, changed your mind already? Is it cause I'm not an actual elf?" she asked sadly.

Lauren smiled and tried to come up with a decent response even though her heart was beating rapidly in her chest, "Well, I do only usually go out with elves but I think I can make an exception."

They exchanged numbers, Lauren was relieved to see that Camila's hands were slightly shaking as she held her phone, it was a reminder to her that she was also nervous even though she played it off so well. "Well, my break is going to end soon, so I better get going," Camila said as she started to walk away.

Lauren caught on to what she said, "Break?" she asked with a raised eyebrow. Camila just bit her lip as she looked down, slightly blushing after just admitting she was actually on break the whole time she had come up to talk to her, using her job as a way to talk to Lauren. It was in that moment that Lauren knew Camila was something else, a good something else, a different something else, at least from what she was used to. As she walked out of the store, she agreed to take Trevor to both gamestop and ice cream, feeling so happy that she wouldn't be surprised if she was actually emitting a glow.