Little Peak At Book Two-To Find Oneself

Start from the beginning

Just the day before, the darkness controlled me, injuring Derek in the process. The darkness left, leaving Derek bleeding heavily on his side but he waved it away. With the help of a blood bag, he was healed in a matter of minutes.

“Alexia,” Lucas groaned again. “Come here.” He pulled my arm and I collapsed in bed with him. He pulled me to his chest and wrapped himself around me as if I was his stuffed teddy bear.

“Lucas,” I laughed. “You’re squeezing the living daylights out of me.”

“But I love you,” he murmured, kissing my forehead. That simple ‘I love you’ was everything to me now. In the beginning, we both had a hard time actually loving each other and I didn’t even know I truly did until Derek helped me seek the truth. Ever since then, Lucas has been more open to me and I felt the happiness from the bond we shared.

“We should get ready. Didn’t you say we were meeting Derek today for lunch?” Although Derek housed us when Lucas’ house was ruined by the hunter’s attacks, Lucas bought another house to give Derek more privacy with his ‘meals.’ Derek was living off blood bags when we lived with him because it would be awkward if he brought random girls and fed off of them in front of us. The image in my head made me want to throw up. I have never seen Derek’s animal side. He was such a gentleman.

As for our human friend, Travis, he helped us fight them off but now ran off with Jessabelle, his partner, to who knows where. He didn’t leave with any good-bye but Lucas reassured me that he saw them off.

“Yes, we do actually,” Lucas said, letting go of me. I gasped, trying to get as much oxygen as I could and exaggerated about it. “Oh, come on Alexia. I didn’t squeeze you that tight.”

I got up and changed quickly into a pair of jeans and a black v-neck shirt. To top off my attire, I added my trusty old black converse. “Come on, lazy bum. I’m going to get Amos ready.” Lucas tugged on a t-shirt that hugged his body well and I left before he had time to change his pants. That could be shared in a later time. I wasn’t ready for anything more anytime soon.

I ran down the stairs to Amos’ room which was on the first floor. He said he wanted to be the first one to know if there was an intruder in the house so he occupied the room right next to the front door. I was about to knock on his door but I heard his muffled voice. He was on the phone.

“So did you meet her yet?...I hope you the best…OK then, take care.” With that Amos was off the phone and I politely knocked. “Ah, Alexia. Are you ready to meet Derek?” he asked, smiling like he’d normally smile but I knew better. Whatever phone call that was, he was hiding his emotions pretty well.

“Is anything wrong?” I asked suspiciously.

“No, no. I was just checking in with the rest of the Elders,” Amos replied and ushered me out. “Come we don’t want the vampire king to be waiting. He’s got a very short temper you know,” Amos smiled as if he knew more than what he was letting on. That was probably because they had a past together. I know they were really good friends but I didn’t know the details. It was usually very rare for werewolves and vampires to be friends but there their odd friendship seemed unbreakable.

We all hopped into the car and drove downtown to meet up with Derek. It had been a while since I met him and I couldn’t wait to give him a good ‘ol hug but when something went just right, there was always something that countered it.

Kill the Elders. Kill the Elders.

The prophecy was already fulfilled. Then why did the darkness want me to destroy the Elders?

Zane’s POV

“Bye,” I said, hanging up with Amos who was on the other end of the phone. He was updating me on Alexia’s condition. So far the darkness was able to control her and wound Derek but they were trying to keep her busy and doing active stuff so she would be too busy and tired to worry about the darkness.

“Is everything alright?” It was Travis who spoke. We were finally in the area where Travis’ friend lived. He was able to pass a message down to her to meet us at the local coffee shop near the outskirts of her city today.

“Yeah, Amos just updated me,” I replied shortly.

“And…” Travis said, waiting for more.

“The darkness possessed her for a few seconds and she wounded Derek during that timeframe,” I sighed. It seemed like every time I called, it was getting worse. It’s only been eleven days. I’ve been counting the endless days since the time we left Alexia.

“Well, if we’re going to help you save her, get off your lazy butt and let’s move out,” Jessabelle said. She came out of the crappy hotel bathroom, ready to face what today had for her. I was still in my pajama bottom and tank. We’ve been staying at a lot of cheap hotels for last eleven days thanks to the fortune my parents had left me and Alexia.

“Yeah, she’s right. Let’s head out, Zane,” Travis said, changing his top. Jessabelle blushed and quickly excused herself to the car where she said she would wait.

“If you guys like each other, all you have to do is confess,” I smirked, taking out a clean shirt and putting it over my head. I changed my pajama bottoms to regular jeans and stuffed the rest of my clothes in my bag.

“Shut up man. That would never work out,” Travis said but I could tell he was pleased that I said they both liked each other. “It would distract me with my mission anyways.” His mission after he helped me out was to overtake the hunter’s organization that used to be led by Kent, his true enemy, who used Travis’ anger against us for his own purposes. Travis killed Kent in the last attack from the hunters but it wasn’t over for Travis until the whole organization was down.

“Excuses, excuses,” I clucked my tongued at him, shaking my head, disappointed. Travis rolled his eyes at me and we both left the hotel laughing. The days we’ve been traveling together, we’ve been able to bond. He was like the human brother I never had. Who knew humans and werewolves could get along so well together?

Jessabelle pulled the modest looking car to the hotel’s front lot and we quickly got in, heading towards the answer to our question. I had the last part of the prophecy all memorized in my head after trying to decipher it on my own.

To help the Healer the cursed stone you must scout,

In order to rid the darkness, take that different route.

After the stone is obtained from the heart of the country,

One must trap the darkness in the stone although it will be bloody.

Only then will the darkness be slain,

Until another tale will this prophecy be raised again.

We didn’t understand what cursed stone we had to find. We already guessed that the heart of the country was in the United States since that’s where the prophecy was made. We were relying on Travis’ friend to help us figure out the rest.

“How much longer?” I asked. My bones were aching from the lack of exercise. I haven’t been able to go out in the woods and run in my wolf form mainly because we were always in a city and not a country neighborhood with acres of land where I could roam freely.

“Not much,” Jessabelle answered from the driver’s seat. After pestering Travis and I, we finally let her take the wheel for once.

“Take a right turn!” Travis yelled suddenly and Jessabelle made a sharp right turn, barely missing a car in another lane.

“Women should never drive,” I said under my breath.

“I heard that Zane,” Jessabelle said from the wheel. “Travis give me time to react to your directions next time,” she chided.

“Sorry Jesse. OK, now a left after this stoplight.” After the lights turned green she made the left turn and I spotted the coffee shop. Jessabelle parked the car close to the café just in case we had to make an early exit. It was better to be safe than sorry.

We all walked into the coffee shop and I felt a difference in the air. Something didn’t feel right. Either my instincts were right or I was just too anxious.

“Are you sure she’s a safe human to be around?” I asked nervously.

“Human? Who said she was a human?” Travis laughed. “She’s a werewolf.”