Chapter 11- Why Aren't You Baristing?

Bắt đầu từ đầu

“Yes.” She chirps. “Please?”

I shake my head furiously and look at the time to see that it’s four, so I have two more hours until I need to leave for the café. “There is no way that I’ll do that. No matter what you say, I will not ask Jace to the New Year party.”

“Whatever you say,” She sang. “now, you have to get going, you can’t be late.”

“Late? I still have an hour before I need to get ready.” I remind her.

“Not tonight, you need to be there early, so you can strike up a conversation with Jace.”

“That is so stupid, I’m not doing that.” I tell her stubbornly.

“I’m watching Carter for you, aren’t I?” She questions me with raised eyebrows.

“You’re pulling a guilt trip on me.” I accuse her.

This makes Claire grin. “And it’s totally working, so go get dressed.”

I grumble a response before going upstairs to get dressed for tonight. I decide on a bright pink lacy dress and vintage-looking crème colored shoes, that are obviously flats. I think that since I’m wearing a dress, Claire will let me wear flats, so that’s a good thing, however the dress is kind of short, and I really hope we don’t repeat the incident the two weeks ago when Jace looked at my legs. I didn’t like that at all. I put my hair in a curly pony tail down my back and then grab my guitar and go downstairs where Claire is still on the couch watching Bubble Guppies with Carter.

“Hey, this show isn’t that bad.” She chirps when she seems me coming down.

I laugh at that. “I’m sure it’s not. Carter, I’m leaving.” He waves goodbye, but he doesn’t even look up from the TV which was expected because that’s his favorite show. “Okay, well I’ll be back later tonight. Don’t hurt him and if anything goes wrong, call Michael.”

“Of course,” She smirks. “I would never separate you from your time with Jace.”

“Right,” I sigh, leaning down and giving Carter a kiss on the top of his head. “be good.” Of course, he ignores me so I wave a goodbye to Claire before exiting the house.

With my guitar in the passenger side seat, I head away from the house and towards The Seaside Café. About five minutes into the peaceful drive, however, my phone begins to ring. Because I’m driving, I don’t look at the caller ID and just answer the phone.

“Hello?” I ask into the phone after I push the green button.

“Hey, Emma.” Charley chirps on the other end.

I groan internally and keep driving. “I can’t talk, I’m driving.” I inform her.

“Oh, did I catch you at a bad time?”

“Yeah, kinda.” I mutter, although there is never a good time for her to call, but I don’t tell her that. “Can we not do this now?”

“Do what?” She wonders. “You don’t even know why I called.”

“I’m not giving you money. Not for Dad and not for you, so if that’s why you called then just hang up now.” I inform her, exiting the town and driving the small distance between my town and the one that holds The Seaside Café.

She dramatically gasps on the other end of the line and I roll my eyes at her stupid-ness. “That’s why you think I called? I am appalled, really.”

“That’s why you ever call, Charley.” I remind her dryly. “What do you want?”

“I just wanted to talk to my baby sister, I don’t see what’s so wrong with that.” She defends.