Prologue

There are many stories of the magnificent King Arthur, his ever faithful knights, beautiful wife and ridiculous round table where all men are created equal. I can barely mention the name Merlin without wanting to scream curses into the air. Arthur's conquests are carried throughout the country faster than the plague rips through a city. And what of me? His poor, wicked sorceress of a half-sister. What do I get? I was born first, and yet where is my prize, my golden city and riches? I have many secrets. Secrets that could bring around the fall of the golden city, and their wretched golden Arthur. I curse his name.

Legend is written by the strong, the winners of the battle, not the weak or beaten whose voices are silenced in death. It has a sneaky way of gaining momentum over time and turning reality into an exaggerated farce. There was a time when this hatred in my heart was not there, when my soul had not turned black with bile and anger. There has never been much love between my half brother and I. A far cry from what we have become. Two siblings locked in a never-ending circle of loathing. There was a time when I was pure, and good. There was a time when I was loved.

I refuse to be sent into the afterlife with only Arthur's version of the truth laid before this world. My last breath will be used to see my life brought into the open. It may be that when my story is heard, Arthur and that blasted Merlin will finally be left for the scavengers as I have been all these years.

A story like this should be told from the beginning.