Chapter 1

"I'm gonna be late. I'm gonna be late" I mutter under my breath, as I hurriedly rush down the crowded corridor in the direction of the potions rooms. It's the first lesson of the year and I don't wanna be late. Arriving at my destination, I glide to a halt and quickly open the door only to be reprimanded by Professor Snape. My head low in embarrassment, I mumble an apology and hurriedly take the only empty seat in the front row, quickly placing my bag down and pulling my books out.

"Wow, you're never late, Toria" A familiar voice speaks from beside me. Turning to the side, I find none other than Draco Malfoy smirking down at me. "I mean, you're a Ravenclaw. You shouldn't be late" He always has a habit of bringing that up. In our first year, I was sorted into Ravenclaw instead of Slytherin and he has never let me live it down. My mind drifts back to that extraordinary September evening... 

"RAVENCLAW!" The voice of the sorting hat booms from above my head. I feel a strange sense of elation, but also guilt as I spot the crestfallen face of my best friend in the crowd of first years. A scowl forms on his pale features, as I clamber off of the old wooden stool and happily race to the table of cheering Ravenclaws awaiting me. 

"Earth to Toria!" Draco drags me out of my daydream by frantically waving his hands in front of my face. I shake my head, sighing as I come back to reality. 

"Huh, well, at least I'm not a Gryffindor" I stick my tongue out at him, opening my book and dipping my quill into my ink pot. He mutters something under his breath about Slytherin being 'superior', but I simply ignore him and start taking notes as Professor Snape reels off information at a thousand miles an hour from the front of the dank classroom.

The next time that Draco feels the need to talk to me is at the end of the lesson when I am packing my things back into my grey satchel. I feel somebody gently pat me on the shoulder, so I turn to face him.

"What's up now, Draco?" I ask, slinging the strap of my bag over my shoulder and straightening my blue tie. He chuckles lowly, before clearing his throat.

"Potter has been staring at you all lesson?" He speaks, slight disgust evident in the tone of his voice. I let out a sigh of annoyance and roll my eyes.

"And? It's a free country. He can look where he likes" I question, shooting him a pointed look.

"It annoys me" Draco huffs, gripping the strap of his own brown satchel tightly. I shake my head in disbelief

"Why do you care, Draco? It's not like you're my boyfriend. I don't need protecting. Anyway, you know that I dislike Potter as much as you do" I speak, a little annoyed at his over protectiveness. It's been like this since last year, when he noticed Dean Thomas looking over at me during Defence Against The Dark Arts. Ever since then, he's been hanging around me like a bad smell and I wouldn't be able to hang out with another boy let alone get a boyfriend, even if I wanted to. I glare up at the lanky blonde in contempt.

"Anyway, what lesson have you got next?" Draco asks, attempting to change the subject of our conversation as I am currently sending daggers at him with my eyes.

"I have Defence Against The Dark Arts with Professor Moody" I reply, repressing my anger into a plot that I will enact later. Draco's face lights up. "And let me guess that's what you've got?" I ask, staring up at him. My voice is heavy with sarcasm, earning a nod from Draco and a sly smile. I shrug it off and walk out of the classroom with him trailing behind me as we make our way down the corridor.

"Drakey-poo!" A shrill voice shrieks from behind us. Draco's face drops instantly and he hurriedly tries to hide behind me to no avail due to his tall frame.

"I'm sorry to tell you this, but I'm no longer taller than you, Drakey-poo" I laugh, stepping to the side as Pansy nears us at full speed. Draco looks down at me with horror and helplessness in his eyes.