Feel Out the Summer Breeze

Dnepropetrovsk was a big city, and they headed to a hotel there to regroup, having called the authorities to deal with the remains of HYDRA. Getting Rhodey inside unnoticed turned out to be a challenge, since he couldn't just leave the suit or carry it, but they managed. Chasing down leads was more Natasha's purview, but Sam and Rhodey helped where they could. It was still a couple hours before she had anything definitive.

"Well, it's not good news," she told them with a sigh.

Rhodey was sitting by the window, working on a particularly nasty bullet hole his suit had acquired in the course of the evening. Sam was in his civilian clothes and heating up some supper for them using the hotel's kitchenette. Both of them turned to look at her when she spoke, resigned expressions on their faces; no doubt these mirrored her own.

"There are three brothers in charge of that place. All of them were at the facility two days ago, and they went separate ways when they left."

"And any of them could have the device," Rhodey finished for her.

Nodding, she folded her arms over her chest. "Exactly. They seem to be in Serbia, Armenia, and Moscow, respectively. We're going to have to move fast on this, since I'm sure they're in search of buyers."

"Split up?" Sam asked, brow furrowed.

"I'm afraid we don't have time to do anything else," Natasha told him.

"I can't ask you to do that," Rhodey responded. "We'll pick the most likely one and stick together."

She ran her fingers through her hair. "The odds are pretty bad in that course of action."

Both turned to Sam. "I'm just here as an extra pair of hands," he said with a smile. "Whatever you two experts decide is fine with me."

"We've all been cleared for solo missions, and we can call for backup before we split up. I think it'll be worth it to keep it out of the wrong hands," she explained, gauging both of their reactions.

With a sigh, Rhodey nodded. "Alright. But don't get killed out there. I'd never forgive myself."

Natasha smiled. "I'll take Moscow. Don't get too comfortable, I'm going to arrange transportation now."

After a more concerned goodbye than she normally took part in, Natasha headed to the airport, boarding on the next flight to Moscow. She had no doubt that this was the best idea – it was late and unlikely that her target would leave his hotel again before morning. And she intended to get there before then. It was somewhat worrisome to have Sam and Rhodey taking their own approaches, but she reminded herself that they had plenty of experience.

When she'd called, Steve had not been happy about the plan. He had not offered any better suggestions, however, and promised that the rest of the Avengers would head their way as soon as possible. Natasha didn't try to convince him that such a course of action wasn't necessary, and frankly felt a little relieved to know there was going to be a safety net.

Moscow was well known to her, probably more so than anywhere else. She had been born there (she was pretty sure), and spent many missions in or around it over the years. The hotel where her target was staying was one in which she herself had stayed more than once, and she returned the concierge's smile of familiarity.

"Hi, I have a friend staying here, and was hoping I could go surprise him," she said, leaning forward conspiratorially.

"I'm sorry, Miss, but that would be most irregular," he told her, genuinely apologetic.