I'll Do It

“Was that who I think it was?” Matty screamed, rushing me down to the basement so no one would hear us.

“I think so,” I said, still quite star struck. I then gave him a gleaming look, “why are you so excited?”

“She is still very good looking!” He exclaimed, ignoring my comment. Sometimes I thought Matty had no filter at all. If people heard him say half the stuff he does, he would be locked away.

I nodded.

“Why was she talking to you? Why was Mr. Darlin’s mother talking to you? Why were they both in the kitchen?” He demanded.

“I was talking to Soph—Mr. Darlin’s mum, when Sarah came through the back door. They hugged, and she said hello to me,” it was the truth, but I was just leaving out a few details.

“Why were you talking to Mr. Darlin’s mum?” He said, crossing his hands over his chest.

“You know Matty, it is not important. We need to go back to the party.”

He tried to make me answer more questions going up the steps, but finally gave up.

“This conversation is not over,” he told me sternly.

“Goodbye Matty,” I hissed before picking up my tray in the kitchen, and going back to the party.

Calvin seemed to be doing well. I had not heard a crash yet, and he had received a personal thank you from Mr. Darlin for returning Annie last night. He pretty much was being guaranteed the job by this point. I wanted badly to become mates with him again. I wanted to see us smile together, with out having to worry about love and feelings. But Calvin wanted love so it seemed foolish that either one of us was going to get their way.

“Mrs. Darlin is making the call tomorrow,” Kat hissed, passing by me with her serving platter.

I quickly turned around and followed her to the stairs leading up to Mr. and Mrs. Darlin’s bedroom. We parked ourselves at the bottom, nodding and smiling to people who past us.

“Call?” I finally asked her, confused.

“The call of who is staying and who is leaving,” Kat explained.

I gave her an understanding nod and stood still for a couple minutes. It seemed as if every girl who walked by me had a different scent. Some smelled as if they had been lying down in daisies before they arrived, and others smelled of clean cut silk and other clothing materials.

“What time do you suppose this will end?” I asked her, staring at Sarah in the distance. She was talking to Mr. Darlin about something humorous, and he was laughing much too loudly, even if it was very funny.

“Suppose it will end when all the guests are gone,” Kat whispered and walked away from me.

Ouch.

“Midnight.” A low voice said from behind me.

I looked over my shoulder to see Calvin in his butlers uniform. He had always been such a rebel in Lunkton, who would have thought five years later he would be standing in tip top shape serving people, with manners.

“Come again?” I asked him; unaware of what midnight he was talking about.

“Midnight is when the party should end,” he said giving me a wink.

“Thanks...mate.” I told him, wiping the smirk from his face.

“Anytime,” he told me soundly fairly disappointed. We stood in opposite directions, each of us scared to look at the others face. The face of a failed love.