Chapter One

It had been nine years since I ran away.

Nine years of scavenging and being a thief to survive.

Now, however, I was looking through the scraps of a small tavern. I managed to find a loaf of bread and a bottle of wine that wasn't fully gone. Just before I began to walk away, the door was slammed open in the front of the shop.

"What did I tell you bastards about throwing away perfectly good food for a lowly thief?!" A man, elderly, screamed.

I peeked over and noticed him screaming at two men.

The taller one was pale with fiery, red hair.

The shorter one had the skin of chocolate and a black buzz cut.

"Well it's not a crime to feed someone, is it?" The chocolate skinned one asked.

"Of course it fucking ain't, Franklin." The old man responded.

The red head one clasped his hands together, "Well then there is no reason that we should be in trouble."

"You're damn right, Tommy." Franklin laughed.

The old man glared and screamed. "You idiots are fired!" Then he shut the door.

Franklin snickered and started to walk in my direction, followed by Tommy.

"That was hilarious." He laughed out.

Tommy glared at him. "Well, now we have no job. Any ideas, Franklin?"

Franklin shrugged and stopped when he noticed me holding the wine and bread. "Ma'am." He said with a nod.

Tommy waved with a sort of lustful look and said in a stuttered voice, "I-I hope everything is to your liking."

This was the first kindness shown to me in nine years. As a reaction, I dropped the food and hugged Franklin, who awkwardly patted my back. "I'm glad you liked the food." He muttered.

Tommy snickered at Franklin's obvious embarrassment and smiled at me. "You're welcome too stay with us. We have a cottage not to far from here."

Smiling, I said the first word I said in nine years. "Yes."