Chapter 10

When I got back to the orphanage, Ms. Jefferies had a huge list of things for me to do. I nearly passed out from exhaustion after the first day back. Life sucked again.

Three months after the trip to Venice, I was starting to doubt that Zak remembered me. He said he would come for me, but did it really take this long to get rid of an evil spirit? Or was he just trying to get me off his back? I was leaning more towards the second, until one day, there was a knock on the door. I was cleaning the living room, so Ms. Jefferies went to answer it. It was Zak.

“Hello. My name is Zak. I've come to adopt someone. May I come in?”

“Yes, enter,”said Ms. Jefferies in that witchy voice of hers.

Zak walked toward me. I ignored him, so Ms. Jefferies wouldn't get suspicious.

“What's your name sweetheart?” he asked nicely.

“Crimson Jaquilin.”

“How old are you?”

“14.”

“How long have you been here?”

“Since I was 6.”

“How would like it if I said I wanted to adopt you?”

“That would be very kind of you.”

“Alright then. Ms. Jefferies, I would like to adopt miss Crimson. Show me the papers to fill out.”

“Are you sure you don't want to adopt one of the other children?”

“Show me the papers for Crimson. I've made my decision.”

She was not happy about him adopting me. Now her slave would be gone. She would have to get off her lazy ass and actually do something for once in her life. She led Zak into the office. They came out a few minutes later.

“Crimson Jaquilin, you are now officially Crimson Bagans,” said a pissed off Ms. Jefferies.

“Good. I'll go get my stuff.”

I ran into my room. I stuffed all my clothes into my suitcase. I put my iPhone in my pocket. My art supplies, sheet music, and laptop I stuffed into my backpack. As I was just about to walk downstairs, I remembered the trunk that I kept from after my parents died. I ran back to get it. I drug it to the top of the stairs.

“Zak, can you come and help me with my stuff?”

“Sure sweetheart.” He walked up the stairs and grabbed the trunk. We both carried my stuff to his car.

I went back inside and said goodbye to all the little kids. They begged me not to go, but I told them it was for a good cause. I walked over to Ms. Jefferies before I stepped out of this place for good.

“Goodbye Ms. Jefferies. Thank you for your kindness to me.” I used the most sarcastic voice I could.

“You got lucky, you little bitch. If he hadn't come along, you would have been mine forever.”

“Well, you can kiss my ass because I'm never coming back here. Now maybe you'll know what it's like to actually get off your lazy ass and work for once in your life.” I walked out the door and got into Zak's car. I was finally released from that prison.