A Million Emotions

Before I go straight into the first chapter, I'd like to apologize if it isn't all that interesting. I'm really terrible at first chapters for some reason. I'd also like to say that I tried to keep as close to the people's personalities as I could. They won't be exact, but please note I tried. I hope you enjoy. xx

{Chapter 1}

                “I can’t believe it’s finally here.” I whispered, looking at my reflection in the mirror. Ingrid and I had decided long ago that we’d get together before the prom, and here we were.

                “I, personally, cannot wait until it’s over.” Ingrid answered, tugging on a stray piece of her hair. I could tell she was feeling a bit out of sorts, but I was slightly reluctant to ask her. I didn’t want to come off as trying to pry into her life; then again, what were best friends for?

                “Why’s that?” I asked, turning away from the mirror to look at her.

                She sighed. “You know, baby, it’s just not the same anymore. I’m not ‘Queen Bee Ingrid Brooke’ anymore. I’m just another plain Jane who’s now got a beautiful baby girl.” She smiled at little Scarlett adoringly.

                “Is it really so bad to be just ‘another plain Jane’, as you so put it?”

                She paused in tickling Scarlett, so that she could look at me and quickly shake her head. “No, I didn’t mean it like that. I’m just not really used to this life style, and I’m not quite sure when I’ll finally be comfortable with it.”

                “You’ll get used to it, Ingrid. After all, you’ve got Scarlett to keep you going each day.”

                Ingrid grinned at me. “Maddie-moo, I really do love you. You look really beautiful tonight, by the way.” She leaned over to kiss my cheek, thankfully not leaving a lipstick mark like the old Ingrid would have.

                I looked down at my green, almost emerald colored, dress and smiled. For the first time since Ingrid had gotten me to dress up, I actually felt beautiful. I wasn’t showing too much skin; the dress’s hem ended a little below my knee, and I wasn’t coated in cosmetics. I actually felt comfortable for once, and I couldn’t help but wonder how Harvey would react once he saw my perfectly curled hair, courtesy of Ingrid.

                “So do you, Ingrid. Then again, you always have.” I replied, grinning at her outfit. She’d decided on a deep red dress, very similar in color to her daughter’s name, and I honestly couldn’t imagine a better dress for her.

                She tugged at her dress hem a bit nervously, and I smiled despite the nervous glint in her eye. Where she’d once radiated confidence, she now seemed a bit hesitant in most things she wore. “Don’t think I haven’t noticed why you’ve chosen that dress, Maddie-moo.” Ingrid fake scolded, contradicting her statement with a soft smile.

                I’d chosen my dress because it’d immediately reminded me of Harvey’s eyes, and I’d just had to have it. Of course it hadn’t slipped past Ingrid’s notice; after all, they shared the same eye color.

                “Still as observant as ever,” I pointed out, scooping little Scarlett up into my arms. “She’s already starting to behave like you.” I mused, as Scarlett tugged on the ends of my hair so that I’d walk around with her in my arms, instead of just standing in one place.

                “A girl knows what a girl wants.” Ingrid responded, watching me with fascination as I handled Scarlett.

                Scarlett was one of those fussy babies, not that you could really blame her; her mother was the Ingrid Brooke. She didn’t like being held by just anyone, but she didn’t fight too much when I picked her up. Somehow she’d already developed a certain liking towards me in such a short time, kind of like how her mother had suddenly walked into my life that day at school.

Harvey, though, that was a completely different discussion. She’d kick and scream until the poor guy put her down, looking very defeated in the process.

                I laughed. “How about we drop her off, and then head off? We don’t want to be late.” I suggested, grabbing little Scarlett’s diaper bag.

                “Please, you’re not worried about being late. You just want to see my brother. Admit it, Maddie-moo.” Ingrid teased.

                Instead of dignifying her with a response, I threw her a quick grin before handing her Scarlett and heading out to my car.

                As much as I was looking forward to this night with Harvey, I couldn’t seem to shake the feeling that something nothing of us were expecting was about to happen.