Chapter 1: I'm Not A Baby

It’s hard being the daughter of the most powerful man in New York. I usually always have to stay inside because my dad, Joe Pulitzer, thinks someone will try to kid nap me because of him. I barely have friends and the only friend I really have, I can only talk to in secret. That friend is the daughter of my dad’s arch enemy, William Hearst. We can only talk at school and not where anyone can see us. But it’s summer now so I really don’t have any friends. The only interesting thing that catches my attention is the newsies. The orphans and runaways that sell newspapers for my dad. They went on strike a few months ago and won. That’s a real accomplishment especially since my dad is so stubborn. Since then, I watch them outside everyday hearing them yell the headlines and sell the papers. I wish I could be like them. Go where I want, be who I want, be free from this trap called a house.

                I woke up to the sound of the news bell going off signaling the newsies that it was time to sell papers. I woke up to this bell every day. My house was in the Pulitzer building. My dad’s office was a few doors down. I’ve had the same room since I was a baby. My dad just kept redoing the room as I got older. I climbed out of my canopy bed and slipped on my silk robe. I opened my curtains to let in the rays of the sun. I opened my huge windows that led to my balcony. I was instantly filled with the sounds of New York. The newsies yelling out headlines and the carriages speeding down the street. It was a nice day. I decided I would go horseback riding. My dad owned half of the horses at the racetrack and they all stayed in our backyard stable until the race days. Only one of them was really my horse. His name was Wilder because he was a wild horse until my dad bought him. I put on my blouse and skirt and brushed my hair. I walked out my door and down the hall. I stopped in my dad’s office. Even if he was busy, he had time for me.

                “Hi, Daddy,” I said behind down and hugging him as he sat in his chair.

                “Hi, Sydney, darling,” Dad said, “How’s my baby today?”

                “I’m not a baby, Daddy. I’m 14.”

                “Fine. How are you today?”

                “I’m just great. I’m going to ride Wilder today.”

                “Oh, no, you can’t. Wilder is being entered in the race today. He’s really fast that horse of yours. He might just win.”

                “Daddy, I thought you said you wouldn’t enter Wilder in the races. He’s my horse and he hates races and running.”

                “He’s a horse. He loves running.”

                “If you enter him in the race then I have to go too. I’m the only one who knows how to calm him down and get him ready so he won’t freak out.”

                “Sydney, you know how I feel about you going outside of this house. Especially to the race track where all the betting men are.”

                “How bad would it be to let me go once? I promise I’ll only stay in the stables. I won’t even go out where the races are.”

                “No, Sydney.”

                “I’m 14, I can’t stay in my room for the rest of my life. I need to be out there, be free. Can’t I just go this one time? I’ll never ask you to go outside again.”

                Dad looked up from his newspaper. I stared at him with puppy dog eyes. He never said no to my puppy dog eyes. Dad sighed and took my hand in his.

                “Alright,” he said, “But Mason has to drive you and watch you.”

                “I don’t care,” I said happily, “Thank you, Daddy, thank you.”

                I ran out his office and downstairs to the backyard. I went to the horse stable. Mason, Daddy’s young horse caretaker, was out in the stables. He was loading the horses for the race into the back of the carriage. Wilder wasn’t in the carriage yet. I went to his cubby and petted his head.

                “You don’t mind going to the race do you?” I asked him, “It’s alright. You’ll win, I know it.”

                He nipped at my cheek. I smiled. “That’s my boy.”

                Mason came into the stable again. Mason was a 19 year old boy who had been working for my dad since he was 16. He was tall with brown hair and green eyes. He was really attractive for someone who just took care of horses. He was one of my friends that lived in the house. My dad didn’t like me talking to him that much. Probably because he was near my age and handsome. Mason laughed when he saw me.          

                “Talking to horses again?” he laughed.

                “Who else am I supposed to talk to?” I said.

                “Maybe someone who will answer you back?”

                I shook my head. “I’m going with you to the tracks. My dad said I could go.”

                “Really? Your dad?”

                “It’s a long story. Maybe I’ll tell you on the way there.”

                “Let me load up Wilder and then we can go.”

                I smiled as he led Wilder to the back of the carriage. I couldn’t wait to leave. This was going to be an exciting day.

*Like it? Comment, Vote and Subscribe :)*