"What I said about you being mine." He says, struggling to keep his temper from exploding. "I only said that so they wouldn't try anything. I didn't want to make you uncomfortable."

"You didn't." I tell him, trying not to look at the ground as I step over the arm of an injured fighter. "I knew what you were doing."

"Good." He says, the anger never leaving his voice.

"How did those guys know you?" I ask him, incapable of keeping my question to myself. That was just fucking weird.

"Rachel." He barks, his once soft eyes now staring at me with anger. "Don't ask about that. Just be grateful and let it go."

I raise my eyebrows and break free from his side, stopping in my tracks. He instantly turns around, red faced with anger and I feel my tears building behind my eyes. I turn around to leave but he grabs my arm tightly, it hurts.

"You're not going anywhere." He says to me.

"You're hurting me." I tell him, trying to get his hand off me.

I wiggle around in his hold and then after a moment of struggling he's forced back by another person. I'm thrust behind him and it's only then I realize it's Marshall. He's forcing Maverick back, screaming at him. He's cursing violently, saying horrible things to him. I can't help but feel that this is his built up rage about everything finally finding some relief.

"If you fucking touch her again I swear to god I will kill you." He shoves him back again and Maverick puffs out his chest, the two of them stare at each other. Almost like they're deciding whether to do this here or not.

"Fine." Maverick shakes his head, and I swear I see a tear fall from his eye. "She's your responsibility now. I'm getting the fuck out of here."

He storms off back the way we came and I feel bad to see him leave. This could've gone differently. Marshall turns around, muscles tense with rage. He marches up to me and I instantly feel overpowered, he's pissed. And I mean pissed.

"Are you alright?" He asks through gritted teeth, and it sends a chill down my spine.

"Yeah." I whisper, scanning him for injury.

He nods once and then takes my hand, dragging me back towards the trees. We manage to escape the ring without being seen and he leads me all the way back to his car. Not one word spoken the whole time.

"Marshall." I say, but he silences me. Opening the car door for me.

"I'm not going to do this here." He says, the anger in his voice is overpowering. "Get in."

***

He takes me back to his apartment, he was silent the whole way here. And now, he seems almost more pissed now that it's had time to settle. He gets out of the car and slams the door with incredible force. I get out too, not looking forward to what's coming. He marches up the stairs and I hurry to keep up with him. He's so angry I know it, and it makes me feel horrible. He reaches the door and we walk inside, and I close the door after us.
He throws his keys on the kitchen counter and grips the edge of it. He holds it until his knuckles begin to turn white. Hesitantly I walk over to him and place my hand over his. He snatches it away immediately, breathing hard out of his nostrils.