Truth and Lies

You stared down at the massive pile of unaddressed wedding invitations, (e/c) eyes closing momentarily as you took a deep breath. Nearly three hundred invitations needed to be put in the mail the following day...you only had one hundred done. Running a hand through your (h/c) locks, you let out a hard sigh. "There is no way I'll be able to get these done before tomorrow without some sort of magic." Suddenly, the tiny hairs on the back of your neck stood on end.

"Magic, dear (y/n)?" The voice behind you was silky and smooth, like the finest chocolate in the world; it made your pulse quicken, though you tried to mask the reaction your body had to this infernal mischief maker.

Rolling your eyes, you turned around to look at your unannounced guest. You had to admit, he looked quite fetching. His face was calm and collected, the only hint of emotion present in a pair emerald eyes and a playful smirk. He was dressed simply in a forest green tunic and black breeches, his raven colored hair cropped just below his ears. Sighing, you turned back to the invitations. "What are you doing here, Loki?"

A small silence followed as the god of mischief walked noiselessly to sit in front of you, that infuriating smirk still on his lips. "Is it so wrong for me to visit you? At least I did not appear at a time when you were indecent." The suggestive tone of his voice made you want to throw something at him; instead, you clenched the pen you held tighter.

"Loki, I'm getting married in a month. These visits will be wrong once that happens." You did not even bother lifting your eyes to his; you knew that you'd struck a nerve. You could feel the anger rolling off of his body in waves. "I've told you this multiple times," you muttered, looking down at the address that was next on your list.

"I still cannot believe that you are going through with this, (y/n)." The scowl was evident in his words. "He does not deserve your love and affection."

You slammed the pen down on the table, (e/c) blazing as you glared at the man in front of you. "Why not? He has treated me like a princess since we met."

Loki stared into your eyes with equal determination. "He has not been faithful to you."

The words hit you like a ton of bricks. Several emotions ran through your mind: disbelief, fear, doubt. But these soon melded into a single feeling that had you seeing red. "You have no right to say that. You've only met him once." Your voice was low, a warning.

"Once is enough, darling. As a skilled silver tongue, I know a liar when I see one." He reached across the table to grab your hand, but you pulled away quickly.

"Don't call me that." You pointed at him, face hard. "I know that you're only saying this because you're jealous, Loki. You can't stand to see me happy with someone else. It kills you." You were seething now, all the pent up frustrations of the past few weeks coming out in a torrent of words.

A look of hurt flashed through Loki's eyes, but you did not feel sorry for him. As a constant mischief maker, he was bound to be hurt sometime by the consequences of his actions. So, you continued with your rant. "Just because it didn't work out between us does not give you the right to ruin my current relationship. It's over, done with." You pressed your lips together tightly, watching every move that your former flame made.

"You've said quite enough. I believe I understand exactly how you feel now." Loki's voice was soft; you knew that your words had cut him to the core. He stood quickly, eyes avoiding yours. "I wish you every happiness, (y/n)." After pressing a gentle kiss to your cheek, the god disappeared into thin air. Sighing, you shook your head and tried to dispel the feelings of guilt that crept into your heart.

One month later...

You stared at your reflection in the tall mirror, smiling at your appearance. It was just like you'd always dreamed: your hair was perfect, make-up flawless, and your white gown accentuated your body type as it was supposed to. Tears began to form in your (e/c) eyes, but Tara, who was your maid of honor, was quick to grab your shoulders. "No, no, no. Save the tears for after your 'I do's.'"

"You're right." Chuckling, you turned around to look at the small group of girls around you, looking absolutely beautiful in (f/c) dresses. "I just want to thank all of you for your support and for putting up with my craziness these past months. It's about to all pay off, I promise." You hugged each of them, trying hard not to get emotional again. "I love you so much."

Nearly half an hour later, you stood in front of the double doors, waiting for the signal to walk down the aisle. Nervous butterflies fluttered in your stomach, but you smiled. You were completely ready to be married; it was only a matter of minutes and you would be joined until death with the man of your dreams. When the door opened slightly and Tara came out, you frowned at her somber expression. "What's going on? You look like somebody just died out there."

"Jason isn't out there, (y/n)." Her brown eyes were sad as she placed a hand on your shoulder. "I'm sorry, but no one can find him. We've looked everywhere."

You couldn't believe it. After everything that the two of you had gone through together over the past two years, he wasn't going to marry you. Tears threatening, you ran down the hallway and into the room where your hopes had been so high only moments before. Closing and locking the door, you sank down onto the floor, holding your head in your hands. The tears that had begun to pool in your eyes started to spill out. "What have I done to deserve this?" you asked aloud. Your chest heaved as you sobbed openly, realizing that every stress and pain that you had struggled with the past months was for nothing.

"You have done nothing, dear one."

You looked up at the sound of the familiar voice. Loki stood before you, his other-worldly features pained as he stared down at you. "Why do you look so glum? You're not the one who just had their fiancé not show up to their wedding," you muttered, new tears forming in your eyes as you focused on Loki's boots.

"I do not care to see you hurt. The pain that you feel now pains me as well." Loki bent down to your level, putting a finger underneath your chin. With one smooth motion, he guided your face up so that you were looking at him. "I am sorry, (y/n). I had hoped I was wrong about him." His words caused more tears to stream down your face. Loki put his arms around you without hesitation, allowing you to cry into his loose green shirt. He rubbed your back soothingly, whispering phrases of comfort into your ear.

After what felt like an hour, you pulled back, sniffling. "Thank you, Loki. For being here for me."

The god of mischief took your hand in his, placing a soft kiss to your knuckles. "I have never stopped loving you, darling (y/n). Though it has been a few years, I believe that my feelings for you have grown stronger." He sighed, standing and pulling you up with him. "I know that you need time to heal from this heartbreak. I will give you all the space that you need." Pausing for a short moment, Loki looked deeply into your eyes. "When you are ready to love again, you know how to call me." He brought his lips down to yours, the kiss a gentle caress of his mouth upon yours. And then he was gone, leaving you alone with a small smile on your face.