Prologue

He hates his life.

That's what Kudo Shinichi-now 18 years old-thought as he gazed at his childhood friend's blue eyes that was filled with shock and disbelief.

It had been two years since Shinichi got shrunk at that fateful day in Tropical Land. A year since Ran had given up on him. And half a year after he had brought down the entirety of the Black Organization-even ones that were in other countries-and was recruited as an FBI agent.

Shinichi-not really having anyone waiting for him to come back anymore(those that knew his secrets doesn't count)-had accepted gladly. He had fit in nicely, truly. Perhaps it was because the fact that he had worked together with the FBI to bring them down. And he hadn't regretted it ever since. His parents had bought him an apartment in New York for him while they continue avoiding his dad's editor.

His coworker-Jodie-senpai, Camel-senpai, and James-senpai came to mind-had been asking him to take a much needed break and visit his home country. And he had agreed, if only to get them off his case and went back to Japan. Now he wished he had just flat out said no instead. Why? Because if he had, he probably wouldn't have met Ran, the one person he had wanted to avoid meeting at all cost, at his first day of holiday no less.

So yeah, he hates his life.

F***

"Shinichi?" asked Ran snapping him out of his reverie. His mind raced, searching for a solution, something, anything.

"You are Shinichi, aren't you?"

'Ah...to h*** with it' he thought, resigning himself to his fate.

"Yo, Ran. Long time no see." he said as casually as possible.

He could see her eyebrows twitching at his nonchalant greeting. But before she could explode at him, a distinctly male voice interjected, "So this is your childhood friend, huh?". Shinichi moved his piercing gaze from Ran to the male beside her who was holding her hand. 'Shirogane Kazuhiko, 18, karate champion and a student of Ekoda Highschool' his mind supplied, 'And last but not least, Ran's boyfriend'. He sighed.

"Yes, and I believe you are Ran's boyfriend, right?" He replied. At their shocked looks he added, "I do keep tabs on you, Ran. Even if you hate me, to me you're still my precious childhood friend, you know".

"Where were you all this time?" Ran asked, anger still present in her voice.

Shinichi sipped  his coffee silently, "America" he answered.

The both of them wrinkled their brows in confusion. "What were you doing there?" Kazuhiko asked.

"Didn't I tell Ran already? I was on a case" He said.

"For two years ?" asked Ran, incredulous.

He pinned them with a solemn gaze,"It was a difficult and dangerous case" he murmured but they heard him clearly.

"Look Ran, I'm sorry for leaving you, I truly am. But if you'll excuse me I have other things to do. Good day" said Shinichi hastily, anxious to leave. And so, Shinichi left the couple at coffee shop he frequented, his pace brisk.

Somehow, Shinichi had the sinking feeling that this was not the end of his problems.

He groaned quietly.